1813 - 1885                        INDEX      PEDIGREE

Tamma Durfee


Marriage: 9 August 1831
Place: New London, Huron, Ohio

Birth Date: 6 March 1813
Birth Place: Lenox, Madison, New York
Death Date: 30 January 1885
Burial: Springville, Utah, Utah

Polly Miner
Orson Miner
Moroni Miner
Sylvia Miner
Mormon Miner
Matilda Miner
Alma Lindsay Miner
Don Carlos Smith Miner
Melissa Miner
Clarissa Curtis (h-2)
Belinda Curtis (h-2)
Adelia Curtis (h-2)
Amelia Curtis (h-2)



Martha Durfee
Tamma Durfee
Edmond Durfee Jr.
Dolly Durfee
John Durfee
Delana Durfee
William Durfee
Abraham Durfee
Henry Durfee
Jabez Durfee
Mary Durfee
Nephi Durfee





Following is a short biographical sketch of the lives of Albert Miner
and his wife Tamma Miner, (nee Durfee)
Albert Miner was the fourth child of Asel and Sylvia Monson Miner.

His parents were farmers and lived in the State of New York. In the
year 1815 when Albert was six years of ages his parents moved to New
London, Huron Co., Ohio. Here they lived for the balance of their lives
following the avocation of farming. They lived to a ripe old age, both
having died on the farm, and there buried side by side,
In August of the year 1851 Albert married Tamma Durfee, daughter
of Edmund and Dalancy Pickle Durfee, who lived near New London, During
this year Albert and his wife were for the first time greeted with the
sound of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In obedience
to the Divine mandate Tamma was baptized in December, but Albert did
not embrace the Gospel until February of the following year.
In May 1835 Albert and his wife moved to Kirtland, Lake Co., Ohio,
along with Brother Durfee and family who had also embraced the Gospel,
Here Albert and wife worked jointly together in tilling the soil and
in assisting each other in their daily work.

Albert and Tamma were faithful Church workers, and were constantly
in close communication with the Prophet Joseph Smith. They assisted
very materially in the building of the Kirtland Temple. They were
present when the First Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in this dispensation
were chosen and ordained. They also attended the dedication of
the Temple, Their narrations of the manifestations seen at the Temple
by the Prophet Joseph and Oliver Cowdry when Moses and Silas revealed
to them the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of
the earth and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the North,
and the committing of the dispensation of the Gospel of Abraham saying:
"that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed, etc."
These and many other incidents which took place have been
powerful testimonies and guiding stars in the lives of their posterity.

It was about this time that Brother Miner was taken extremely sick
and his wife was under the necessity of procuring a sleigh in which
be was placed upon a bed. She got into the sleigh, holding her youngest
child upon her lap, and with an umbrella protected his head from
the bitter storm of snow and rain which prevailed at that time. Thus
they made their way back to New London, the home of his father.

The next fall they moved to Far West, Mo., and there shared in
all the persecutions the Saints were compelled to endure. Soon after
their arrival at Far West, they found themselves, and others, without
flour, and in rather a bad condition generally, for the mob had them
pretty well surrounded and were breathing threats of maltreatment. A
council was held by the Saints to decide who should go for some flour.
Albert was selected and when returning the mob captured him and took
him to their camp. After Albert explained that his family and others
had no bread to eat, he was permitted to deliver the flour under
guard sent by the mob to bring him back to their camp. Here he was
held as a prisoner until they broke camp, taking his best horse, and
leaving him with the other to get home with his wagon the best he

Under the exterminating order of Gov. Boggs of Missouri, the
Saints were forced to move their families into Illinois. This was
in the fall of 1858 when winter weather was coming on and the Saints
poorly prepared for such harsh treatment. Brother Miner, being one
of the leading spirits among his brethren, was appointed as one of
the committee who signed a pledge that they would not move from Missouri
until every family of the Saints had been safely planted from
beyond the boundary lines of that State. While fleeing from Missouri
where they had suffered so much they crossed the Mississippi River
and located near the City of Quincey, Ill., A kind reception was
extended to the Saints by the people of Quincey and much aid was
given them, for their physical condition was verging on to starvation,
Here Bro. Miner and family remained for a few years, farming
and doing such work as was necessary for the comfort of his family.

In the year 1842 they moved to Nauvoo, settling on a tract of
land four miles east of the Temple site, and here they resided four
years. At intervals during this time Bro. Miner assisted in the
erection of the Nauvoo Temple, and therein he and his wife received
their endowments just prior to the atrocities heaped upon them and
the rest of the Saints, and their final expulsion from Nauvoo.
Prior to this Bro. Miner was one with others who assisted in
guarding the Prophet Joseph Smith, at the time he and his brother
Hyrum were martyred at Carthage.

In the fall of 1844 the mob, having renewed their energies,
though unjust and cruel they were, the Saints were in constant turmoil
and fearful of their lives, continued to gather around them
what little was left of their effects and ungathered crops. At this
time Bro. Durfee was permitted by a treaty between the mob and the
Leaders of the Church, to return and gather his grain. When the
grain was stacked the mob set. it on fire. Bro. Durfee in attempting
to put it out was shot by a man by the name of Snyder, who
did it to win a bet of two gallons of whiskey. Snyder boasted of
what he had done and it was told some years after to a missionary
traveling in that locality. Later, in a drunken row, Snyder was
shot and the wound never healed, he actually rotted alive, with the
stench so offensive that his friends forsook him, although he linger-
ed for months before he died. Durfee died a martyr for the cause
of Truths from the shot he received from Snyder.

The mob forces having about completed their depredations by
driving from the State of Illinois, all those who professed Mormonism
or were friendly Inclined toward them, continued their unlawful acts
until the Saints, finding themselves unprotected by the Governor and
State Officials, agreed to leave the State as soon as possible. Before
this time, however, some engagements took place, and Bro. Miner was
right to the front. He was placed on the mouth of the cannon to load it.
The number killed and wounded is not known. Edmund Durfee, Jr. a brother-in-law of Albert, was wounded In the ankle and was unable to walk.
After the Saints agreed to leave the State they were compelled to surrender their arms, with the understanding, that they would be returned later, but such was
not the case.

In the fall of 1846 Albert, with his family, Edmond Durfee and
his family, fourteen in number, and in one wagon owned by Albert,
left Nauvoo, crossing the Mississippi River, landing near Montrose,
Iowa. where they remained for a short time only, then they left for
Iowaville, where they resided until 1848. While enroute to Iowaville,
(This has also been spelled Iowavale ) on Oct, 5th, 1846, Bro. and
Sister Miner were deeply grieved in the loss by death of their seven
months old baby girl Melissa. The child was buried on the banks of
the Des Moines River, under a big cottonwood tree.

Montrose, as mentioned above, is where the Saints camp was
filled with innumerable flocks of Quail, sent as it were from heaven,
and so tame that they were caught very easily and prepared for food
and thus the feeling of hunger was relieved by this miraculous occurrence.
At this point in the life of this family. Sister Miner went through the
most heart-rending trial yet allotted to her, in the loss by death of her earthly protector, her husband. Brother Albert Miner died January 5, 1848,
leaving her with but little means, and a family of seven children,
the oldest of whom was fourteen years. Undaunted and full of faith
in the Gospel of Christ, Sister Miner continued on in the work of the Lord.
She paid off the $90.00 funeral expenses of her husband and in the month of May moved her family to Council Bluffs, Iowa. Many trying scenes did this family pass through, one after the other, as such was the case with the Saints in general. In the Spring of 1847 when the Saints began that wonderful pilgrimage to the valley of the fountains, under the Leadership of Brigham Young,
Sister Miner, having a firm testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel, and a great desire burning within her soul to go where the Saints were once again gathering. She began at once making preparations for that thousand mile journey.

In June of 1850, Sister Miner, having in readiness all her earthly possessions, which consisted of two yoke of oxen, and two yoke of cows, with one wagon, supplied with a limited amount of provisions, and the same of clothing, bid
goodbye to her brother Edmond, friends and all relatives, and with her family, started on this long journey.

In her comparative helpless condition she wended her way westward In
Wm. Snow's company of 100 until in October of the same year she arrived
in Salt Lake City, Utah. The journey was not made, however,
without some trying experiences, and only those who passed through
those trying times, can give an Inkling of the feelings of joy and sorrow
that took possession of their souls while pressing on for the
cause of Truth.

Shortly after the arrival of Sister Miner and her family In Salt Lake City,
she met and married Brother Enos Curtis. The family then moved on
a farm owned by Lorenzo Snow on the Jordan River west of
Union Fort. During the winter they made chairs for a livelihood.,
Here the cruel hand of death robbed her of her oldest son Orson and
be was buried on a knoll near the home where they were living. Soon
after the death of Orson, which occurred March 5th 1851, the family
moved to Springville where Sister Tamma enjoyed her long sought rest.

In 1855 she lost her second husband. From this marriage she
had four children, two of which were twins. In Springville Sister
Miner, as stated above, spent the remainder of her life in peace
and happiness, and had the privilege of seeing her family grow up
in comparative peace, and prosper in land.

January 30, 1885 Sister Tamma passed this life at the age of
71 years, 10 months, and 24 days, leaving nine children, 75
grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren. besides a vast circle of
friends to mourn her loss. By a life of virtue and unflinching
integrity, as well as by her many excellent traits of character,
she had endeared herself to all. She died as she had lived, in full
faith of a glorious resurrection. The funeral services were held
at the old meeting house in Springville, Monday Feb. 2nd, l885.

At this writing November 19, l913, Mormon and Moroni Miner are
the only children living of Albert and Tamma Durfee Miner.





Written by Tamma Miner March 15, 1880 in Springville, Utah.
AUTOBIOGRAPHY of Tamma Durfee Miner. Written for the Relief Society
and filed in the Jubilee Box in 1880, and opened in May 1950 by officers
of Utah Stake Relief Society. It was handed to Frances Carter Knight,
daughter of Polly Miner Carter, The history has Since been resealed
in a box to be opened again in another fifty years.

My father's name was Edmond Durfee. He was born in Rhode Island
Oct, 5, 1788. Father was of Irish descent I think. Mother was born
June 6, 1788 of Dutch descent. Her name was Lanna Pickle, Her father
and mother from Holland, I think High Dutch.

I was born in the State of New York, Madison County, Town of Lenox,
June 6, 1815, and we lived there until I was about nine years old and
then we moved to Oswego County, Town of Amboy, in a new County.
Father bought some land, built him a house, made a small farm, and
worked at his trade that was mostly carpenter and millwright. We lived
there till the first of June 1850, and then bought more land. There were
lots of maple trees on it and we made lots of maple sugar. Then father
wanted to go west, so he sold his sugar bush and farm and everything and
started for the State of Ohio. We went through Camden Village to the Canal,
went on the Canal to Buffalo, went across Lake Superior and landed at
Portland, From there we went to Huron County, Township of Buggies.
Father bought some land and went to work to make a home and the next
winder, in 1851, we heard about the Mormons, and the gold Bible. The
next spring, Solomon Hancock came along preaching about Joseph Smith,
said that the Lord and the Angel Moroni had revealed them to him.
Solomon Hancock came and joined in with us, the Methodists, and the
Campbellites, and he would preach in our meeting house. We would go
to hear him and were all astonished for it was so much different from
what it had been reported. This was sometime in April 1851, and my
father Edmond Durfee was baptized about the middle of May, and my
mother and sister Martha and brother Edmond were baptized about the
first of June by Solomon Hancock. I believed it the first time I
heard him preach it and told us the Book of Mormon was true,
I was a Mormon in belief but was not baptized till Dec. 1851 and
will tell you the reason I was not baptized. I was keeping company
with a good young man, as I thought, and I was told he said he would
not have a Mormon wife, so I waited till after I Was married I went
to the Mormon meetings and sometimes to the Methodist till the ninth
of August 1851, when I was married to Albert Miner. Afterwards we
got along first rate and we went to meetings sometimes to one place
and sometimes to the Mormons till Dec, 1851 when my father was going
on a Mission to the State of New York, and he baptized me before going
on his mission.

Albert’s mother, brothers and sisters, had a great deal to say about the
Mormons as they did not believe In the Book of Mormon, but
he told them that "The more they had to say, the sooner he would be
baptized." He waited till the first of February 1832 when they cut
a hole in the ice and baptized him.

My oldest daughter Polly was born on May 1, 1832. My father
gathered some of his Carpenter tools and see grain and farming tools
and in company with others he started for Jackson County, Missouri.
He left on the first of February 1832 to build a place for all his
family to go to and he came back the 20th of May. Then he went back
to The States on a short mission and came home in the fall of 1832.
He sold his farm and all his possessions and started for Kirtland,
Ohio on the first of May 1833. The Lord said he would keep a stronghold
for five years in Kirtland. We bought a farm, built us some houses and prepared to live.

I was here on the fourth of July when they wanted twenty-four
Elders to lay the corner stone to the Kirtland Temple, and they ordained
George A. Smith and Don Smith to make the 24, six to each corner,
and my husband Albert Miner helped to haul stone every Saturday for a
long time to build the Temple. My oldest boy was born Oct. 22, 1855.
We named him Orson. The next Spring the most of the Elders were called
to volunteer to go and redeem Jackson County, Albert told Mr.
Dennis Lake he would draw cuts to see which would go or which would
take care of the families. Dennis Lake went with the Company to redeem Jackson County and when he got back he apostatized and sued Joseph
Smith for three month's work, $60.00. Brigham and a man with him,
came to our house and asked him for his license and he refused to
give it to them. Brigham Young said: "It made no difference. They
could publish him and he told Albert Miner that he would receive his
blessing." This was in the fall of 1834.
On the 4th day of June 1835. I had a son born, called his name
Moroni, and Joseph Smith blessed him and said: "he should be as great
as Moroni of old and the people would flee unto him and call him
blessed." They were still building the Temple. There were some of
the brethren who came from a distance and stayed until the next Spring.
Some stayed with us and received their endowments and were there to
the dedication of the Temple in March 1836. After that a good many
began to apostatize and broke up the Kirtland Bank, I had a girl born
June 18, 1836. We called her name Silva. A great many things transpired
that I haven't time to write, and so long ago that I can't place them,
Land came up and sold for a large sum of money and they had a
great speculation and a great many left the Church of Latter-day Saints.
I had a boy born Sept. 26, 1837, called him Mormon, In the Spring
of 1837 my father sold his farm and all he possessed and started for
Caldwell County, Iowa. and we stayed that summer and fall. Those that
left the Mormons grew worse till Joseph and Sidney and Father Smith
had to leave in January in the middle of the winter. That fall Albert
had a very bad sick spell. The last of January he got some better so
he could ride in a sleigh on a bed and I held the umbrella over him
and with two children on my lap, we went 80 miles from Kirtland to
Hurin Co, New London, where Albert's folks lived. The four days on
the road had been pleasant and warm but it turned fearfully cold winter
weather. Albert got better and we stayed there until May.

Albert went back to Kirtland and sold his farm, put some of his
means in to help the Kirtland Camp, and with the balance, Albert Miner,
wife and children, started for Missouri far west, about the middle of
June 1838, bidding his mother, brothers and sisters, all farewell for
the Gospel’s sake. His father died 1829. We traveled until we got
short of means and then we stopped and worked till we got some more
money and then went back to the camp to pay them a visit and then we
went on to Missouri and got to Dewit the last of August, The children
were all sick and I had been so sick that I could not walk, and Albert
had been so sick that he could not harness his team nor take care of
It, but he soon got better. We stayed one week In Dewit and then we
started for Far west all alone. We got to my father’s about the first
of September, The children were all sick but father said they would
get better and they did so in a few days, all but Silva, who got worse
and died about the first of October, 1838.

The mob gathered and killed a number at Hans Mill and gathered
and drove ail the Mormons from Adam Diamon to Far west; then not being
satisfied, the whole State, with the Governor at their head, gathered
by the thousands to drive them from Far west. They wanted Joseph Smith
and Sidney Rigdon, our leaders, and the Twelve, and all they could get
and put them in prison, and they got many. Some were bailed out,
Others had to stay and take up with such fare as they could get. They
were even given human flesh to eat, but Joseph told them "not to eat
It, for the Spirit of the Lord told them, through him, that it was
human flesh.” Thus we were plundered, smitten and driven and our lives
threatened, and we were ill-treated on every side by our enemies.
enemies to the truths of heaven. They would come one to five hundred,
right to our houses, and nobody around but women and little children.
They would take our men prisoners without any cause whatever, only
because they were Mormons and believed in the truths of the Gospel.
They wanted to know if we had any guns or pistols or ammunition or
butcher knives and all such things. No one can describe the feelings
of the Saints and what they passed through. No tongue can tell, only
those that experienced it and was an eye witness, when they came to
our homes in this kind of way.

Those men that were at liberty and had teams, had to help others
to the Mississippi river and then go back after their own families.-
Father’s folks had lived there one year. He left in 1857, and Albert
Miner and wife and five children got to Missouri the first of Sept.
1838 and lived on what they called Log Creek, six miles from Far west.
I was there when they killed David Patten, when they took lots of
prisoners, and when the saints had to lay down their arms for their

Mr. Miner was one who had to take a load to the Mississippi
River so we did not get away until the first of April 1839. We had
witnessed a good many leaving in the cold and dreary winter. We
crossed over to Quincy, went up the river to the place called Lima,
prepared to live there a short time. But the devil wasn't dead yet.
In a short time there were some who would go to Lima and get drunk,
and come back swearing and tearing enough to frighten men, let alon®
women and children. I told Mr. Miner that I did not like to live there.
I did not like to see those drunkards and hear them swear.

While at Lima I had a girl born January 12, 1840 and we called
her Matilda. We stayed there until one year from the next September.
We got along the best we could, every fall and Spring go thirty miles
to Conference and then on the Fourth of July to training. I had a
boy born Sept. 7, 1841. We called him Alma L. The next Spring we
sold out and my husband bought a place four miles east of the Temple
in Nauvoo and we lived there where we could go to meeting and back
at night. I had a boy born June 12, 1843 and we called him Don C.
Miner. We were there in 1844 when Joseph and Hyrum were martyred.
I went and saw them after their deaths and when they were brought
back to their home. I had been acquainted with them for 12 years.
I had heard them both preach In May. I had heard them talk to the
Saints a great many times. I once heard the Prophet Joseph talk to
a congregation for five hours and no one was tired. This was in
Kirtland before they built the first Temple. A great many incidents
I had passed through but have not time to name them all. we still
lived in Nauvoo.

The Nauvoo Temple was completed, then the mobs became violent
again. They threatened and told around how they would kill and drive
the Mormons out. They did kill several and drove them from Lima.
They shot my father Edmond Durfee and killed him Instantly on November
19,1845. He who had never done them any harm in his life, but on
the contrary, had always taught them good principles of truth and
uprightness and greatness and morality and industry, all the days of
his life. But before this they drove them all out of Father Morley's
settlement, turned their sick ones out, drove them all out to live or
die, rolled my brother Nephi up in a bed and threw it out doors when
he was sick, went to the Oat stack, got two bundles of oats, put a
brand of fire on them, and threw them on top of the house and said
they would be back next morning. Father was trying to move some
place and they came back and shot their guns and ran them all off.
They plundered, made fires, burned houses, furniture and clothing,
and looms, yarn, cloth and carpenter tools. The iron from the tools
they picked up and filled barrels. Everything all burned to ashes,
and the mob went from house to house driving them out, sick or well,
it made no difference, until they burnt every house in town, that was
owned by the Mormons.

The men from Nauvoo got their teams and started for Lima. They
traveled all night and day to get the families that had been turned
out doors. My husband was one that traveled all night and he got ^
sick, took a chill, and was very sick for a long time. The mob said
they could come back and gather their crops, and when they were very
near done, they decided to stay over Sunday. When it got dark Saturday
night, they built a fire close by the barn and stables. The Mormons thought
they meant to burn their horses, and the men ran out to stop the fire.
The mob stood back in the timber and our men got between them and the fire, and they shot off about a dozen guns but my father was the only one killed.

They built a fire in different places. One fire they built in a corn crib where the shucks were very dry. The fire burned a little and then went out, so you see they could not go any farther than the Lord would let them. This was in the fall of1845 and they still kept gathering and threatening all the fall and winter. The Saints worked hard all winter. In the Temple they gave endowments and sealed others,
They worked at repairing and building wagons, getting ready to leave
Some of them left before the ice broke up in the river and the rest soon after.

A little over one year before, my husband had his farm bought
from under him, by a man by the name of Ephraim S. Green, with all he
had worked and done and paid on it and was turned out doors with a
family of little children, so he rented one year and turned out one
span of horses and bought piece of land in order to make another

On March 5, 1846, I had a girl born, called her Melissa. We
remained there for a time. The mob gathered every little while and
threatened all the time how they would drive out the Mormons. At
last a great many left, not knowing where they were going, to hunt a
place in the wilderness among the savages and wild beasts, over the
desert beyond the Rocky Mountains, where white men had never lived,,
In the Spring the mob began to get together once a week and threaten
to drive what was left. The first of May we moved to town, sold our
place for a yoke of cattle and wagon, thinking to start in two or
three weeks, but the mob gathered every week, right on the public
square close by the house. The Mormons told them they would go as
fast as they could get ready and get teams to go with. It was mostly
women and children that were there and they did not want any more of
the men to leave for fear of what might happen, so we stayed, and my
oldest brother was with us, and family. Albert Miner was born in the state
of New York, Jefferson County, March 31, 1809. His fathers name was
Asel Miner, His mothers name was Sylvia Monson.

At last the mob gathered in full and reports came that they were
camped outside the town about a mile, about 2,000 of them. One
afternoon they started to come in to town, cross-lots. There were only
fifty of our men to go out to meet them, but they drove them back
that night . In the morning at 2 o'clock, it was moonlight, and the
Mormons went and fired right in their camp. They fired guns and
cannon on both sides until 2 o'clock in the afternoon. They killed
three Mormon men. One was named Anderson, and he and his son were
both killed by one cannon ball. One man was killed by a cannon ball
while he was in the Blacksmith shop. Three men were slightly wounded,
My brother was wounded between the cords of his heel, by a gun. There
were only fifty of the Mormons against 2,000 of them. In the mob, ten
of them had to be on guard, two on top of the Temple with spy glasses.
They went into Law's corn field and there they had their battle. They
were seen to fill three wagons with the wounded and dead. And the
next morning a woman stood in the second story of a house and saw the
mob put seventy-six bodies in calico slips with a draw string around
the neck and feet, before they left for home.

The Mormon women rolled the cannon balls up in their aprons,
took them to our boys, and they would put them in the cannon and would
shoot them back again when they were hot. It was a fearful time,
I could have crossed the river but I would not leave my husband. In
about two days they had to surrender, lay down their arms, I saw the
mob, all dressed in black, ride two by two on horseback. It looked
frightful. They said there was about 2,000 of them around the Temple
in Nauvoo.

The men had to ferry the boat over five times for each family,,
My husband had to ferry it over ten times, five for my brother that
got wounded, and five for us. We got over and stayed there two weeks.
We slept on the ground, waiting for help. There were fourteen of
us to one wagon. My baby got sick, but we started and in three days
my baby died on the first of October 1846. We traveled on one day
and the next morning we burled her. She was seven months old. Her
name was Melissa Miner. We went on three days and came to lowaville.
We stayed there through the winder and there my husband worked at
hauling and running a ferry boat.

When my baby died I took sick and never sat up only to have my
bed made, for nine months. My husband thought of moving to the Bluffs
but a good many came back to get work, so he cut and put up some hay
for his stock and then said he would go back to Ohio to see all of
his folks. He started afoot to the Mississippi River all alone,
short of means. He went two or three miles when he looked down on
the ground and right there before him was about $5.00 In silver. He
went on and found his folks all well, but no one believed in the Gospel.
All opposed him. He was gone ten weeks. He came home very unwell,
and being gone so long, he was homesick and tired, and had walked in
the rain all day.

Polly, my oldest girl, who was fourteen years old, took care of
the family of nine and waited on me while I was sick and while her
father was gone, Not feeling very well when he came home, he thought
he would feel better after he got rested but he grew worse. He would
try to work a half a day and go to bed the other half. He came home
about May 17,1847. He would be first better then worse till at last
he dropped off very suddenly.

That was a hard blow for we thought that he was getting better.
I and the children thought a better man never lived, a kind, good
natured disposition, free-hearted, industrious. He won many friends
and was a genius at doing anything he saw any one else do. Alma and
the little boys said: "Which way shall we go. We will not know the way."
They thought their father was so perfect that he could not do anything
wrong and that he knew everything.

Albert Miner was born in the State of New York, March thirty first,
1809, Jefferson County. His father's name was Asel Miner, His mother's
name was Sylvia Monson.

Polly and Orson were the oldest, they bad to take the lead and go
ahead and plan. His folks had offered him everything if he would
stay with them and not go with the Mormons, but the Gospel and the
truth of the Book of Mormon and the Holy Priesthood was all that he
wanted, Polly was a true and faithful girl to her mother and all the
children. Albert, my husband, died Jan, 3, 1848. He had been so
very anxious to go to the Bluffs and keep up with the Church, so myself
and children went to work and got things together and the next July
1846 came to Council Bluffs. We stayed there about two years. We
worked and got things together to come to the valleys.

I and my five boys and two girls started, with one hundred wagons
June 10, 1850, We traveled across the plains with ox teams. We had
many a hard struggle although we got along much better than we had
anticipated. The first of September we landed in Salt Lake without
any home or any one to hunt us one. We ware very lonesome indeed. We
stayed with father and mother Wilcox two weeks, when Enos Curtis came
along and said he would furnish me and the children a home. That was
what we needed for it was coming winter. We were married October 30,
1850. We lived on the Jordan the first winter and I and my children
all had the irricipliss in the throat and my oldest boy died with it
on March 5, l851. He had driven the team across the plains for me
and he was as kind and good natured a boy as ever lived.
The next April we moved to Springville, got a farm and a place
to build. We got along first rate. We had gone into the wilderness
trying to build up the Kingdom. On October l8th. 185l. I had a girl
born and called her Clarissa Curtis, We lived there and the boys grew
up and Mr. Enos Curtis, my husband, his boy, and mine, all worked
together, raised wheat and grain and stock-paid their tithing. I had a
girl born February 25, 1855. We called her Belinda Curtis. The next
Spring Enos Curtis went to Iron County with Brigham Young and Company.
When they got back they made a party for the company, June 12, 1854.
One year from that day I bad a pair of twin girls naming one Adelia
and one Amelia Curtis.
The next Spring my husband was complaining of not being very well.
But he kept on working for awhile till at last he gave up. After awhile
he began to take something and thought he was better, then he
got worse, lived till the first day of June 1856, when he passed away,
just like going to sleep without a struggle or a groan. His children
were all with him but two, one of his boys was on a Mission in England,
Myself and four boys were left to keep house, and three little girls.
One boy was twenty years old, the other fourteen, and the other twelve,
One was seventeen. We still lived in Springville City, farmed and raised our wheat and stock and paid our tithing, I raised the little girls, all but one.
She took sick and died before her father. She was Adelia, one of the

In 1857 I married John Curtis at April Conference and I had a
girl born Jan. 16, 1858, calling her Mariette Curtis. I had five
boys and four girls by Albert Miner, and I had four girls by Enos
Curtis, and I had one girl by John Curtis. I had fifty-eight grand
children and 11 great-grand-children. I had fourteen children in all
and they are all very good and kind to me.
Albert Miner was Joseph Smith's life-guard in Kirtland, My
brother was also, but he left the Church. In those days there
was but a handful in comparison to what there is now.

I have passed through all the hardships and drivings and burnings a
and mobbings and threatenings and have been with the Saints in all
their persecutions from Huron Co., to Kirtland, and from Kirtland to
Missouri and back to Illinois. For want of time I have passed over
some things of importance. I hope my children will appreciate these
few lines for I do feel highly honored to be numbered with the Latter day
Saints and I pray that our children will all prove faithful, that they may
receive a great reward.

This from Tamma Miner and Albert Miner and Tamma Miner and Enos

"January 50s 1885, Tamma Durfee Miner passed this life at the
age of 71 years, 10 months, 24 days, leaving 9 children, 75 grand-
children, 17 great-grand children, besides a vast circle of friends to
mourn her loss. She died at the home of her daughter Polly Miner
Garter in Provo, Utah, who had cared for her in her declining years.
By a life of virtue and unflinching integrity, as well as by her many
excellent traits of character, she had endeared herself to all.
She lived and died in full faith of the Gospel and the glorious

The funeral was held in "The Old White Meeting House" in the
town of Springville, Utah, Monday February 2, 1885. She was buried
in Springville City Cemetery.

Sketch by Joseph W. Nobel, Son-in-law.