1783 - 1856                        INDEX      PEDIGREE



Marriage: 15 December 1805
Place: New York City, New York, New York

Birth Date: 9 October 1783
Birth Place: Kinderhook, Columbia, New York
Death Date: 1 June 1856
Burial: Springville, Utah, Utah

Lydia Curtis
Maria Curtis
Martha Curtis
Edmond Curtis
Jeremiah Curtis
Seth Curtis        
Simmons Philander Curtis                 
John White Curtis
David Avery Curtis
Ezra Houghton Curtis
Ruth Curtis
Ursula Curtis
Sabrina Curtis
Celestia Curtis
Clarissa Curtis (w-2)
Belinda Curtis (w-2)
Adelia Curtis (w-2)
Amelia Curtis (w-2)




Enos Curtis
Henry Curtis
Samuel Wadsworth Curtis
Clarissa Curtis
John C. Curtis
Jeremiah Curtis





    Enos Curtis, born 9 Oct 1783, died 1 Jun 1856, son of Edmond Curtis and Polly Avery. He was born in Kinderhook, Clmb., New York. Hattie Esplin Durfee notes that Enos Curtis, the eldest son of Edmond Curtis and Polly Avery Curtis, spent his boyhood days in the little town of Kinderhook, a few miles east of the Hudson River, in Columbia County, New York. A few miles farther east is the large town of Latham. Not much is known of his early life. The story is told by one of his descendants in Utah that Enos, at the age of 14, was apprenticed to learn a trade. His master was so cruel and unkind that he begged his father to let him return home. His father refused saying that the agreement was made, papers signed and that he must finish the contract. Young Enos had courage and an adventurous spirit. He planned to escape from this man and did make his escape by stowing away on a ship sailing down the Hudson River to New York City. He was discovered enroute but the crew learned to like him and asked him to stay with them.

Arriving in New York City, Enos met Ruth Franklin. They were married in that city on the 15th of December, 1805. Ruth was born on 14th November 1870 in Sterling, Windham, Connecticut.

After their marriage they went to Pennsylvania to seek a new home and settled in Tioga County. The northern boundary of the county is the state line between the Pennsylvania and New York state. It was a new county. The county having been formed in 1804. The Curtis' lived in Susquehanna County, Sullivan County, Rutland and Tiago, where their fourteen children were born and raised. Five died small while nine grew to marry and have families of their own.

In 1831, at the age of 48 Enos was baptized into the LDS Church [on a trip to Kirtland, Ohio] by Lyman Wight. According to Louise Durfee Rooney, shortly before the birth of their last child, Celestia Curtis Durfee, the family became converted to the restored church — the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Both Enos and his wife were endowed in Nauvoo Temple in 1846. They were devout in their religious convictions and went through the hardships of the early church pioneers. He was a farmer and carpenter by trade. (Historical References) Millennial Star, Vol. 25 p. 428 & Brigham Young, The Man & His Works, by Preston Nibley, pp 5 & 11.
    Brigham Young says in the fall of 1831 Alpheus Gifford, Elial Strong and others came to Mendon to preach Mormonism, which I heard and believed. (pp 5 & 6 quote: "Five Mormon Elders, from an
isolated branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in Columbia Co., Penns. were making a tour through the state of New York. They visited the town of Mendon where Brigham Young met them. He had a copy of the Book of Mormon in his possession over a year. The actual contact with these Elders, their testimonies and personalities so impressed him, he began an extensive study of Mormonism."
    From autobiography of Heber C. Kimball, p 6 "Heber C. Kimball says, about three weeks after I joined the Baptist Church in the fall of 1831, five Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints came from Pa. to the house of Phineas H. Young in Victor, N.Y. Their names were Eleazer Miller, Elial Strong*, Enos Curtis, Alpheus Gifford and Daniel Bowen. Hearing of these men, curiosity prompted me to go and hear them, when for the first time I heard the fulness of the Everlasting Gospel." These five Elders must have been very devout spiritual minded men. They so thoroughly impressed Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball with the truth oftheir teaching, they decided to pay them a visit which they did in Jan 1832 at the branch in Columbia, Pa. They remained there one week. (See Millenial Star, Vol. 25, p 424). After they returned to their homes in Mendon and a family council was held. The father John Young and sons Joseph and Phineas planned a trip to the branch. This was the beginning of the family joining the Church.
  *Note: Elial Strong was a son-in-law of Enos Curtis

Journal History Notes

29 Jan 1839. Because of persecution the Saints removed from Jackson to Clay Co., then Caldwell. 1836-1838. Here Enos filed a claim against the state of Missouri for 1856. 1 Sep 1844 at a Conference held in Quincy, Ill. at the homeof Joseph Pine, it was voted that the Presidencey of the Branch remain as it had for the last three months, that is Enos Curtis as President with Moses Jones and John Riley as Counselors.

Page 1
25 Oct 1845, Enos Curtis appeared before the Justice of the Peace in Hancock Co. He swore that on or about 18 Oct 1845, in the settlement of Morley in said county, he saw two houses and three stables burning, and that he saw two mobbers armed with guns, running away from the fires. He also swore that he saw the house belonging to the Widow Boss, burning on Monday 21 Oct in same areaas the former fire.
6 Feb 1846 Enos Curtis had his Endowments in Nauvoo.
26 Apr 1848 emmigration records say Brigham Young left Winter Quarters and assembled a group on the west side of Elkhorn River and organized a company in three divisions for emmigration across plains and mountains from Missouri River to Salt Lake City. Enos Curtis, Theodore Curtis and Joseph Curtis were numbered in one of these groups. They left the Elkhorn River 1 Jun 1848 and arrived in Salt Lake City, Sep 1848.
Enos Curtis had his share of troubles and grief. He lost six of his fourteen children before he lost his wife Ruth. She was probably burried in Iowaville on the plains in 1848. He came on to Utah with the rest of his family and their children.
In 1850 Enos Curtis met and married Tamma Durfee Miner. They moved on a farm owned by Lorenzo Snow in Willard, Utah. Tamma had a large family, having burried her husband Albert Miner 3 Jan 1848 on the trip across the plains. The two families lived together and got along very well. Moroni Miner (now 100 yrs. old in 1935) a step-son of Enos, speaks very highly of him. He said Enos always treated us as a kind, loveable and patient father.
John White Curtis, David Avery Curtis, Ozias Strong, Albert Starr with others were sent out by Brigham Young as surveyors for new settlements. They reported the conditions in and around Springville. Moroni Miner, when telling this incident, was greatly moved by memories of this period. His mind was clear and keen. He said he well recalled how hard the two families struggled to build
a home, they were so anxious for a home of their own, they were willing to go through any hardships. They built two large rooms with a shop and patio between them.
Enos was an excellent carpenter and an expert chair maker, also made all kinds of furniture. Moroni said he and his brother Mormon became very efficient and helpful in carpentery and building
business. They all said Enos was like their own father. He was ready to help anyone, regardless of weather conditions, went anyhour of night to administer to and help the sick.
Enos Curtis was ordained a Patriarch in 1852 by Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith and John Taylor. He died 1 Jun 1856 and was burried in Springville beside his wife Tamma,
who died 30 Jan 1885.
Notes from Lue Payne Merrill and Notes from Ruth Curtis Payne daughter of Ezra Houghthen Curtis, as she remembered them from her father who is a son of Enos Curtis.

This story was told by Ezra H. Curtis:
After the meeting where Brigham Young heard the five missionaries including Enos, bear testimony of the Gospel, he hurried home to his wife who was sick in bed. He went to his room
and in praying to the Lord, he asked: "If this religion is true, to send the missionaries to his home, that they might pray for his sick wife and also explain the Gospel to her." The next night as the Elders were passing his home, they were impressed with the tidiness of his yards and said any man that has that much pride in his home must be worth visiting, so they went in. Brigham was watching from the window to see if his prayer would be answered. He hurriedly opened the door and welcomed them in. They administered to his wife and she seemed more at ease. Brigham then told them he had prayed for them to come and that he had faith she could be healed through their administration.

A Nauvoo Incident At The Time Of The Presecution And Martyrdom:
The sons of Enos were out on the prairies putting up wild hay and things were bad, Enos being worried about his sons, rode out in the night to get them. They were asleep, but were awakened by the noise of a horseman coming toward their camp. They were much afraid as they knew the anxiety and nervousness to all the Saints who constantly feared the mob. Enos had a peculiar cough and as he rode toward them he coughed, they gave a sigh of relief and said 'do not fear, it is father'. They had a real race with the nearby mob, who were in ambush and chased them all the way home.

A Story From Chloe Spencer,
Daughter Of Celestia Curtis Durfee and Grand Daughter Of Enos Curtis:

When the mobs were in some of the vicious raids two or three families would gather together in one home for protection. On one such occasion the mob came to the home of Enos Curtis, the men were away. The mob ordered the occupants out of the house. The family told them that Grandmother Ruth Franklin Curtis was ill and could not leave the house. The mob left, but came back the second and third time and finally set fire to the house. The women carried Grandmother away out on a sheet. As the men folks heard about the raid, they rushed back and carried Grandmother away in a wagon as she could not walk. The mob even chased the wagon, but they finally got away.

Enos Curtis, family and a family by the name of Stowell were on the ferry crossing the river from Montrose, Iowa to Nauvoo. A terrific wind came up and as some people had previously gone down the rapids below the ferry crossing there was much anxiety and excitement. People on shore shouting and screaming for help. It was so strong it looked as if it would break the cable that controlled the ferry when Enos Curtis raised his arm to the square and commanded the wind to take them to shore. It ceased its velocity and changed so the ferry drifted to shore and both families were saved. As soon as they were on shore, the gale began as fierce as before.


Enos Curtis, b. 9 Oct 1783 in Kinderhook, Clmb., New York, son of Edmund and Martha or Polly Avery, he md. 1st Ruth Franklin 15 Dec 1805, she was b. 14 Nov 1790 in Starling, Windham, Conn., dau. of (Col.) John Franklin & Abigail Fuller, she died 6 May 1848 in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

To this union the following children were born:

1- Lydia, b. 5 Feb 1808 in Southerland, Penn., d. 5 Jul 1809.
2- Maria, b. 22 Mar 1810 in Southerland, Penn., she md. 1st Abram Brown 13 Sep 1844 [?]; md.          2nd Milo Everett, she died 5 May 1841.
3- Martha, b. 12 Aug 1812 in Southerland, Penn., she md. 1st Elial Strong; she died 22 Dec 1834.
4- Edmund, b. 5 Nov 1814 in Southerland, Penn., d. 6 Jun 1815.
5- Jeremiah, b. 12 Nov 1815 in Southerland, Penn., he died 22 Feb 1816.
6- Seth, b. 8 Mar 1817 in Southerland, Penn., d. 8 Mar 1817.
7- Simmons Philander, b. 28 Mar 1818 in Rutland, Penn., md.1st Emaline Buchanan 4 Jul 1840;          2nd Asenath Lawrence, he died 10 Apr 1880.
8- David Avery (twin), b. 10 Aug 1820 in Rutland, Penn., md.1st Amanda Starr 10 Oct 1841;           md. 2nd Lettia Shearer 28 Aug 1852; md. 3rd Sarah Harriet Howard 2 Oct 1857; md. 4th           Harriet Howard 2 Mar 1869, he died 5 Oct 1885.
9- John White (twin), b. 10 Aug 1820 in Rutland, Penn., md.1st Almira Starr 13 May 1841; he           md. 2nd Matilda Miner 21 Oct 1855; md. 3rd Tamma Durfee 3 Apr 1857, he died 7 Aug           1902.
10- Ezra Houghton, b. 19 Feb 1823 in Rutland, Penn., he md. 1st Lucinda McKenney Carter 18            Dec 1846; md. 2nd Juliaette Everett in 1855, sld. 21 May 1856 EH, he d. 28 Aug 1915.
11- Ruth, b. 4 Jan 1825 in Rutland, Penn., she d. 4 Oct 1825.
  12- Ursula Curtis (x), b. 14 Dec 1826-7 in Rutland, Penn., md.1st Abraham Durfee in 1846; she            md. 2nd Samuel Kendall Gifford, she died 20 Jan 1902.
13- Sabrina, b. 3 Apr 1829 in Rutland, Penn., she md. 1st David Abram King; md. 2nd Thomas            Harwood 6 Apr 1851, she died 27 Jun 1890.
14- Celestia, b. 21 Apr 1832 in Rutland, Penn., she md. Jabez Durfee 25 Dec 1850, she died            17 Jun 1883.


Enos Curtis, md. 2nd Tamma Durfee 20 Oct 1850, she was born 6 Mar 1813 in Lennox, Mdsn, New York, dau. of Edmund and Delaney or Magdalena Pickle, she md. 1st Albert Miner Aug 1831; md. 2nd Enos Curtis 20 Oct 1850; she md. 3rd John White Curtis 3 Apr 1857, she d. 30 Jan 1885 in Springville, Utah.

To this union the following children were born:

1- Clarissa, b. 13 Oct 1851, she md. Chauncey Harvey Cook.
2- Belinda, b. 23 Feb 1853, she died 15 Nov 1873.
3- Adelia (twin), b. 12 Jun 1855, she died 2 Feb 1856.
4- Amelia (twin), b. 12 Jun 1855, md. Samuel James Bartlett.

Enos Curtis, died 1 Jun 1856 in Springville, Utah, Utah, he was burried in Provo, Utah, Utah.

Tamma Durfee's 1st husband, Albert Miner died in Iowaville in 1848 while crossing the plains. She was left with seven small children. She saw her own father shot down by the mob. She suffered severe hardships, but came on to Utah with her small family in Captain Snow's company in 1850. Shortly after arriving in Utah, she married Enos Curtis. [Enos had lived at Morley's settlement south of Nauvoo, where Tamma's parents, the Durfees lived. Tamma likely knew Enos very well before arriving in Utah.]


By Lucinda Payne Merrell, Mesa, Arizona

NOTE: The following account are direct quotations from a history written by Lucinda Payne Merrell of Mesa, Arizona. The original is found in the Special Collections Department at the Brigham Young University and filed under the name of Enos Curtis, Words in parenthesis were added by the proofreader in order to make the history read more clearly.
    Ella Curtis Record has been gathering genealogical data and history on the descendants of Enos Curtis. They had expected to have it published by now...it hasn't come out. I decided to write
what I could of the life of this noble ancestor for my own book and for my descendants. I haven't had an opportunity to do much research on his life. Ella's story will probably be more
complete...I want my children to know something of Enos Curtis so (the following) is what I have collected.
    From family and church records, we find that Enos was born 9 Oct 1783 in Kinderhook, Columbia Co., New York. From the record of the ancestors, it seems the family for several generations had lived in Connecticut. Much of the land there had been taken up and many of the young men were reaching out to new frontiers and no doubt that is what brought Enos's father to New York.
    Enos Curtis had a patriarchal blessing 29 Sep 1841 by Patriarch Hyrum Smith in Nauvoo. It gives his parents as Edmund and Polly Curtis.
    We know nothing of his (Enos's) childhood or young manhood. Some genealogist in California said he was married to Ruth Franklin 15 Dec 1805. He (the genealogist) didn't give the place of marriage or source of information, but that is the first record we have of him except his birth record.
We do find a little record of his father and grandfather in Columbia Co., New York land records. Book A, p. 369 says 21 Mar 1800 Edmund Curtis buys land of Jeremiah Curtis and wife Lydia.
Deeds say that the parties concerned are of Cheery Valley, Atsego, New York. Another Deed Book A, p. 376 says Edmund Curtis and wife Martha soled this land to Samuel Niles.
It appears from genealogical records that Edmond Curtis (the father) was not true to his first wife (Polly). We find he had children by another woman while still having children by Polly, mother of Enos. His first wife bore him six children; then she drops out of the picture and he had eight children by Martha Willson.
    Now these land deals were probably by his 2nd wife as her name is Martha, and it was 1800. The last child born by the first wife was 1793. Genealogists have never found a death date or any record more of this wife. They probably separated, so we don't know where or under what conditions Enos grew up. Jeremiah Curtis, grandfather of Enos, died in the town of Russia, Herkimer Co., New York in 1807. Two years after the marriage of Enos, county records state that Jeremiah had no real estate but his personal property he willed to his grandson, Enos, son of Edmund. So he (Enos) probably grew up, or at least at this time, must have been living near his grandfather, or was that just an act of providence to give to descendants of Enos--a connection into the Curtis family for
genealogical and Temple work. Jeremiah must have had lots of other grand sons.
    Where he spent the next few years we don't know. In the family record there is no place of birth for his first three children. He may have been in New York, but in 1814, he had a son born in
Southerland, Tioga Co., Pennsylvania. He must have had some respect for his father for (he named his first son) Edmond for his father; the next son was named Jeremiah for his grandfather.
So now we have him located in Tioga County, Pennsylvania and there we find him on the tax roll for several years and he had children born in the county for the next eighteen years or until 1832 and there he was when that part of the country was being stirred up by the story of Joseph Smith.
Tioga is right on the line between Pennsylvania and New York. It is about fifty miles from Harmony, Pennsylvania where Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and is probably less then a hundred miles from where the Church was organized so he had a good chance, no doubt, to hear Joseph Smith.
    Family tradition says he had remarked that some day the true church would be restored to the earth so he was in a receptive mood. Tradition says that he (Enos) accepted Joseph Smith before
the Church was organized and that there were not more than forty persons baptised into the Church before Enos Curtis. He was baptised into the Church by Lyman W(r)ight in 1831.
    In the fall of 1831, five missionaries went from the little branch of the Church in Columbia, Pennsylvania to New York on a short missionary trip and they stopped at Mendon, New York. Here they met Heber C. Kimball, he says: "About three weeks after I joined the Baptist Church (fall of 1831) five Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ came from Pennsylvania to the house of Victor Young in Victor. Their names were: Eleazer Miller, Elial Strong, Alpheus Gifford, Enos Curtis and Daniel Bowen. Hearing of these men, curiosity prompted me to go and see them, when for the first time, I heard the fullness of the Everlasting Gospel.
    I also heard the gifts of the spirit manifested among the Elders for they spoke in tongues and interpreted which tended to strengthen my faith. Brigham Young and myself were constrained by
the Spirit to bear testimony of the truth, and when we did thus, the power of God rested upon us."
    Preston Nibley in his book "Brigham Young, the Man and His Works", says that while Brigham Young had had access to the Book of Mormon for more than a year prior to his coming in contact with the Elders, he had not been led to make any thorough or extensive investigation of "Mormonism", but it seemed what profundly influenced Brigham more than reading the book was his actual contact with the Missionaries. Brigham said, "When I saw a man without eloquence or talents for public speaking who could only say, I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of the Lord, the Holy Ghost proceeded from that individual illuminating my understanding and light, glory and immorality were before me. I was encircled by them, filled with them, and I knew for myself that the testimony was true." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 90)
    Family tradition has the story that Brigham's wife was sick and while he was at a meeting of the Missionaries he had to hurry home to her and could not stay and talk to the Elders. He was very
impressed and he prayed to the Lord and asked that if it was the truth to send the Missionaries to him, that he might learn more of the Gospel. The next morning, Enos and one of the other
Missionaries were passing his (Brigham Young's) home and the yards and the premises were so neat and orderly and well kept that it impressed the Elders, who said, "Well, anybody with that much pride to keep his home so well, must be a fine person and one worth contacting," so they went in and met Brigham and discussed the Gospel with him. He saw them coming and was watching to see if this prayer was going to be answered.
    In January 1832, Brigham Young, his brother Phineas and Heber C. Kimball paid a visit to Columbia, Pennsylvania and spent about a week with the Saints at this Branch. Quoting from the book, "Brigham Young the Man and His Works", we read, "The five Elders from Pennsylvania must have been most excellent and spiritual minded men. It was in their little Branch at Columbia that the gift of tongues was for the first time exercised in the Church." So we see that Enos Curtis was very early a member of the Church and working for the building of the Kingdom.
    From "The Journal History of the Church" in the Church Historians office, I have found that Enos and family went with (the) Church in various moves, suffering all the persecutions and trials of the Saints.
    We locate him in Caldwell, Clay County, Missouri, 29 November 1839 through a petition to Congress signed by the Saints presenting claims against the State of Missouri. Their names were
alphabetically arranged. Enos Curtis' claim was for $1,856. See 22 Nov., page 9 in Journal History.
    Enos Curtis presided over a conference at Quincy, Illinois, on 1 September 1844 (See page 5 of 1 September 1844.)
Minutes of Quincy Branch of (the) L.D.S. Church held in Quincy, Illinois, 9 March 1845 at the home of Joseph Pine: "Item 1- -Resolved that the Presidency of the Branch stand as it did for the
last three months--that is, with Enos Curtis, president, and Moses Jones 1st and John Riley 2nd Councillors. The same to hold office for the next three months."
    On 25 October 1845 Enos Curtis made and signed an affadavit stating that a mob had wilfully destroyed the home of widow Boss by fire in Quincy.
    Enos probably had accumulated land and property in Pennsylvania which he, no doubt, disposed of when he began to follow the Church. And in Missouri he lost nearly two thousand dollars and that was quite a bit of money for those days.
    One little story my mother remembered her father telling that happened about this time while they were in Illinois, was that the grown sons of Enos were out on the prairie putting up wild hay. The
mobs were very active about that time and they had gotten the report that (the mob) were going to attack the Mormons the next day. Enos was afraid his sons would be sighted and attacked out there alone on the prairie. So, he rode out in the night to bring them home. In the night the boys heard a horse coming across the prairie toward their camp and (they) were a little excited wondering who it was and why coming in the night and made ready to defend themselves when the rider of the horse gave a little cough, then the boys said, "We know that cough, that is father." After (Enos) and his horse had rested a while, they started for home. After day light, they could see they were being followed by a mob. The father, Enos, said, "Don't get panicky. Speed up your horses-- just a little and we will watch the mob." They could soon see that the mob were traveling faster than they were and gaining on them. Enos said, "We will go a little faster, but not run yet and our horses will hold out better." They watched the mob carefully and found they had to go a little faster and a little faster. As they neared town and were on the last stretch, Enos told his sons that they would now have to run their horses as hard as they could. The mob was now not too far behind, but (Enos and his sons) beat (the mob) into town.
Another story from Chloe Durfee Spencer, granddaughter of Enos Curtis and Ruth Franklin Curtis: "When the mob were in some of the various raids, two or more families would sleep together in one home of Enos Curtis. The men were all away from home. The mob ordered all out of the house. The (Mormon women) told the mob (that) Grandmother, Ruth Franklin, was very ill and could not be moved. The mob left, but came back a second and a third time and each time were more vicious and finally set fire to the house. The women carried Ruth out on a blanket. The shouts of the mob were soon heard and some Mormon men rushed over and carried Grandmother away in a wagon. The mob even chased the wagon, but more help came and the mob turned back. (Grandmother) died 6 May, 1848, after they started the trip across the plains."
I don't know whether Enos and his family were at Nauvoo or still at Quincy, Illinois during the last days before the exodus, but they were near enough that in January and February of 1846. Enos, his wife Ruth Franklin Curtis and the older boys, even though the boys were not married, all received their endowments in the Nauvoo Temple. Soon after this they began their trek across the plains with the rest of the Saints. It seems that the mother, Ruth, was having poor health and traveling as they did and in the cold and unfavorable living conditions she grew worse and passed away 6 May 1848 at Council Bluffs, at the age of fifty-eight.
We have searched long and hard for the ancestry of Ruth Franklin without results, but she must have been a faithful wife and mother as she was right at her husband's side through his experiences and persecutions of the Church. We might well say she gave her life for the gospel. She was mother of fourteen children. At least two teen age girls were left to continue the journey across the plains with their father.
We have another faith promoting story by Chloe Spencer, a granddaughter of Enos Curtis. She said that her mother told this story often, saying she remembered it well as it happened on her 15th birthday. (If this is the case, it must have been before they got to the Bluffs as they were not traveling on her birthday after they left Council Bluffs.) They came to a large river and had to be ferried across. They put two families on the ferry and the Stowell family and Enos Curtis family were crossing when the cable broke letting them downstream. There were some dangerous rapids not far
below and of course there was fear and excitement among the families of the other travelers on the shore. Enos Curtis raised his right hand to the square and by the power of the priesthood in
the name of the Lord commanded the ferry to drift to the shore-- which it did. The ferry and the families and outfits were saved. Sister Spencer said one time old Brother Stowell was at her house
and she talked to him about the incident and he said he had heard his father tell the story.
From the Journal of History of the Church we learn something of the company of the Saints in which Enos traveled. (See Supplement to Journal of History of the Church, Church Historian's
Office 31 December 1848, 1st division emigration. Emigration across the plains and mountains from Missouri River to Salt Lake City.)
    This company was divided into three divisions. Brigham Young was in charge of the first division. Enos Curtis, Theodore Curtis and Joseph Curtis were in this group.
This division left the Elkhorn River 1 June 1848 and arrived in Salt Lake City, Sept. of 1848.
In this first division there were 1229 souls, 387 wagons, 74 horses, 19 mules, 1297 oxen, 699 cows, 184 loose cattle and sheep, some pigs, dogs, cats, doves, geese and two hives of bees. (See
Journal History 16 Jun 1848.)
    In 1850, Enos Curtis met and married widow Tammie Durfee Miner. She had a family, having buried her husband on the plains. They moved on a farm owned by Lorenzo Snow, in Willard, Box Elder County, Utah. About that time John White and David Avery Curtis, sons of Enos, along with Ozias Strong and Albert Starr were sent out by Brigham Young as surveyors for new homes. They reported the conditions in and around Springville and a settlement was started there in 1850. Later Enos moved to Springville and spent the remainder of his days there.
    Enos was ordained a patriarch in 1852 by Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith and John Taylor. (See Journal History, 9 April 1852, page 9) (Enos had previously converted Heber C. Kimball). Brigham Young made very few trips south of Salt Lake for colonization purposes without sending a forerunner or a messenger to Enos announcing his plans and inviting him to join the company (as Company Patriarch.) A company organized 10 May 1854 by Brigham Young consisted of 82 men, 14 women and 5 children who traveled in 34 wagons. They left Salt Lake City and traveled south. They took 95 animals consisting of horses, oxen and cows. The company was well organized. They had a captain, chaplain, historians, interpreters, doctors and bishops and Enos Curtis was the Patriarch of the company. He (Enos) was faithfully anxious to go and was very active--although 71 years of age. He traveled with his son, David Avery Curtis, and Aaron Johnson in wagon number 29. David was the teamster and as he liked animals, I suppose his team of oxen was kindly treated. His love of animals grew as he grew older. He was often cited for his kindness. (The company) traveled as far as Nephi the second night. Little is recorded of the trip except to say it was successful. Their aim was to clear new land and plan new settlements. (See Journal History 10 May 1854)
    In 1935, John Curtis visited Moroni Miner, step-son of Enos, to learn what he could about our ancestor. Moroni was then 100 years old, but had an excellent memory and his mind was clear. He
told how the two families lived together and got along very well. He spoke very highly of Enos and said he always treated them as a very kind, loving and patient father and told how much Enos was
like his own father. He appeared very touched in relating these experiences. (Moroni) said after being driven and wandering for so many years, they wanted so much to settle down and have a home of their own, so in Springville they were all willing to work hard and endure any sacrifices and hardships to build a home. By this time Enos was sixty-seven years old. His wife must have been quite a bit younger for she had three little girls by Enos; (and more children by another husband after Enos' death).
The home they built had two large rooms with a carpenter shop in between. Enos was an excellent carpenter and an expert chair maker. All furniture in Utah at that date was home manufactured and Enos made chairs for a living. Moroni said he and his brother became very efficient in making the chair bottoms of reed, leather or rawhide while Enos did the rest of the chair.
He said, Enos was always ready to help the sick in the neighborhood. Enos Curtis's journey in life ended in his 73rd year. It came as a great shock. During the day, although feeling a little faint, he went about his daily tasks. In the evening, the family had gathered together in a reunion. He joined in various activities, then sat up to the table and ate with the family. Then he sat back in his chair as if resting, but became so still and rigid (the family) cautiously tried to make him more comfortable,
but discovered his rest was more then the little nap he so often enjoyed in his chair. He died so easily--no struggle nor pain, but such a peaceful death was well earned by our beloved progenitor who brought the gospel to his vast band of descendants.
We, his descendants, all owe so much to this grandfather, whom we know so little of. He was one of the stalwart of the Church, perhaps not out in the front so much, but faithfully sustaining and
supporting the authorities and the cause of truth. He embraced the gospel in it's fullness and suffered great trials, persections and hardships, giving us the privilege of being born heirs to it's glories. We are greatful for his strength of character to accept the gospel and his desire to follow the Church even though it meant hardships and struggle. (We are also) grateful for his accepting and honoring the priesthood and teaching his family and setting them a noble example. He has a large posterity in the Church and we have always been proud of the name and heritage he left us--proud to say we were descendants of Enos Curtis.
It is said he kept a diary, but after his death, his step-sons used it for smoking paper. Paper was so very scarce in those days in Utah. Little did they realize what it would have meant to us to have had those "day-to-day" experiences as he recorded them.
May we carry on emulating his strength of character and faithfulness and bring honor to his name and give thanks and honor and glory to our Father in Heaven who gave us the privilege of coming to the earth through such a choice lineage.

Lucinda Payne Merrell - Great Granddaughter of Enos Curtis

Reference Information: The above presentation of Enos Curtis was taken from a book, "Our Family Chain --Elial "Radmall" Coleman-- Ancestry and Youth" by Larry K. Coleman, 1982.
This book mentioned in the above ref. is in poss. of Ted & Maxine Moody, Rt 2, box 765, Safford, Arizona 85546. (phone #) 1-602-428-1564.

State of Missouri Dr

to Moveing from Pennsylvania Tioga County Rutland
      Township to Missouri time and expence                                               $300.00
To being Driven from Clay County to Coldwell having my
      Crop to move the loss of time and Expence                                   150.00
to the Loss of propperty having my house plundered of
      Clothing and furnature                                                                            200.00
to the loss of Corn potatoes and other Loss                                                  100.00
to the loss of Cattle and hogs                                                                          50.00
to the Loss of Land                                                                                      408.00
to the loss of four Musketts                                                                            40.00
to the loss of time of four hands by the mob                                                  100.00
to two bee Stands                                                                                            8.00
to the Loss of time and Expence of Moveing being Driven
      out of Missouri                                                                                       500.00

I Do Certify the a bove a count to Be Just and true a cording to the Best of my Knowledg
Enos Curtis

[Sworn to before C.M. Woods, C.C.C., Adams Co., Il, 8 May 1839.]

Original spelling and capitalization have been maintained.
C.C.C. abbreviation - Clerk Circuit Court


Sacred Places of New York and Pennsylvania
Bradford and Tioga Counties [Pennsylvania]
by Larry C. Porter
p. 277

It was in the spring of 1831 that Alpheus Gifford of Rutland Township heard the doctrines of the gospel as taught by the Prophet Joseph Smith. He was baptized and ordained a priest. He brought home five copies of the Book of Mormon and placed them with friends and family members. Soon after, Alpheus went to see the Prophet in Kirtland and took with him friends from Tioga and Bradford Counties. These included his brother, Levi Gifford, Elial Strong, Eleazer Miller, Enos Curtis, and Abraham Brown. Alpheus was ordained an elder while there. We also know that Enos Curtis and Elial Strong were baptized in Kirtland. Lyman Wight performed the ordinance for Enos Curtis. Eleazer Miller wasn't baptized until December 1831 in Pennsylvania. On their return to Pennsylvania these brethren conducted extensive missionary work in Tioga and Bradford Counties. Among those baptized under their ministrations were Daniel Bowen in Columbia Township and Ezra Landon in Troy Township.
During the fall of 1831, Elial Strong, Brother Potter (possibly Richard Potter of Columbia Township) and Brother Bowen (presumably Daniel Bowen), undertook a short-term mission to Shaftsbury, VT, where “a few received the work.”
In the winter of 1831 Alpheus Gifford, Enos Curtis, and Elial Strong from Rutland Township, and Eleazer Miller and Daniel Bowen from Columbia Township undertook a mission to Mendon, NY. Samuel H. Smith, brother of the Prophet Joseph, had previously paved the way for their labors by placing at least two copies of the Book of Mormon with the Phineas H. Young and John P. Greene families in that area. These copies were circulated widely among other family members. The elders first visited Phineas in the town of Victor and then spread to the larger Young and Kimball families in the area before going on to Warsaw, NY, and other locations.
Prompted by a desire to learn more of Mormonism, Brigham and Miriam Young, Phineas and Clarissa Young, and Heber C. Kimball made and exchange visit with the Pennsylvania elders, They left Mendon about Jan, 20, 1832, and traveled by horse and sleigh to Bradford County where they met with the people of the Columbia Branch. Brigham Young reported:
“We travelled through snow and ice, crossing rivers until we were almost discouraged; still our faith was to learn more of the principles of Mormonism.
“We arrived at the place where there was a small Branch of the Church; we conversed with them, attended their meetings and heard them preach, and after staying about one week we returned home, being still more convinced of the truth of the work, and anxious to learn its principles and to learn more of Joseph Smith's mission. The members of the Branch in Pennsylvania were the first in the Church who received the gift of tongues.”
In the spring of 1832, Phineas H. Young, Joseph Young, and their father, John Young again journeyed to the Columbia Branch. On April 5 Phineas and John were baptized by Ezra Landon and Daniel Bowen, respectively. And on the following day, April 6, Joseph Young was baptized by Daniel Bowen. Returning to Mendon with the visitors or shortly thereafter, Alpheus Gifford and Eleazer Miller again began to proselyte. Brigham Young was baptized by Eleazer Miller on April 15, 1832. Heber C. Kimball was baptized by Alpheus Gifford on wither April 15 or 16, 1832. More than thirty persons were baptized in the Mendon/Victor area in the next few weeks.
The intensity of missionary work from such small branches of the Church as those in Bradford and Tioga Counties is hard to imagine. During the summer of 1832, Eleazer Miller, Enos Curtis, Elial Strong, and an unnamed missionary from Rutland joined with Elders Phineas and Joseph Young from Mendon and journeyed to Ernestown, Midland District, Upper Canada (now Ontario Province). They labored for about six weeks and were successful in baptizing many and raising up a branch of the Church.
In summating his and his friend Eleazer Miller's missionary success during this period, Elial Strong recorded, “Brother Miller, an elder that has traveled with me in the last two routes, has baptized about twenty. I have baptized, in all thirty-five; nine in Rutland and Sullivan [township adjacent to Rutland]; four in Columbia; seven in Troy and three in Canton [Bradford County], five in Shaftsbury, Vermont; one in Chenago, NY, and one in Mendon, NY, and five in Ernst Town, Upper Canada.
Concerning his early missionary labors, Elial Strong specified: “We have labored under some disadvantage, not having instructions till within a few months past, respecting this great work, other that the Articles [D&C 20 and 22], Book of Mormon, and the Comforter.”
Among those recruited for Zion's Camp in 1834 were Elial Strong and Levi Gifford from Tioga County and Eleazer Miller from Bradford County. Unfortunately, Elial Strong was one of the members of Zion's Camp who died of cholera in Clay County, Missouri at the conclusion of the march.

TIMES AND SEASONS. Vol. V. No. 22.] CITY OF NAUVOO, ILL. Dec. 1, 1844. [Whole No. 106

Quincy, Sept. 1, 1844.

At a conference at which Enos Curtis was president, and Henry Pinney clerk, it was resolved that Moses Jones, Silas Maynard and W. B. Corbitt be recommended to the High Priests' Quorum to be ordained as high priests.

Six were received into the church by recommendations from other places.

Brother Thompson was directed to be sent to hire a room to hold meetings in for the next three months.

Elder Corbitt addressed the conference from Romans 2d chapter, and made some remarks on the late epistle of the Twelve. Elder McKenzie also addressed the conference.

Bros. Hollinghead and Corey were ordained priests.

The Lord's supper was administered; the minutes directed to be published in the Times and Seasons, and the conference adjourned three months.

ENOS CURTIS, President.



Enos' father, was born in Sharon, Litchfield, Connecticut. He had two brothers — Samuel Wadsworth and Henry — and a sister, Clarissa. Edmond was killed in the War of 1812, at Fort Erie.