1788 - 1845                        INDEX      PEDIGREE



Marriage: 18 October 1809
Place: New London, Huron, Ohio

Birth Date: 3 October 1788
Birth Place: Triverton, Newport, Rhode Island
Death Date: 15 November 1845
Burial: Green Plains, Hancock, Illinois

Martha Durfee
Tamma Durfee

Edmond Durfee Jr.
Dolly Durfee
John Durfee
Delana Durfee
William Durfee
Ephraim Durfee
Abraham Durfee
Henry Durfee
Jabez Durfee
Mary Durfee
Nephi Durfee








Garner family histories usually carry a sentence to the effect
that Dolly B. Durfee Garner's father was killed by a mob at Nauvoo
during the early-day persecutions of the saints. No other written
Information seemed to be available among the Garner descendants^
Therefore, the writer began a search of Church history records« The
findings were both amazing and thrilling In order that we might
fully appreciate the supreme sacrifice made by our ancestors for the
sake of the Gospel, those findings are now carefully compiled In the
following life sketch.

Edmund Durfee was born- In Tiverton, Newport County, Rhode Island
(Both spellings of Edmond and Edmund are used In the records) Five
generations before him Thomas Durfee (Born In 1643) immigrated to
America from England, He settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. His
youngest son Benjamin, moved to Tiverton where the descendants remained
until the time of Edmund, who was born October 3, 1788, the
son of Perry Durfee and Annie Salisbury (Sulsbury).

How and where Edmund and Lana Pickle became acquainted we do
not know. At any rate Edmund and Lana were married about 1810. To
date we have not found the exact date. She was born June 6, 1788,
in Montgomery County, New York, the daughter of Dolly Pickle,(1)

Edmund and Lana settled in Lennox, Madison-County, New York,
where Edmund bought land,, built a house, and cultivated a small
farm. He also worked at his trade as a carpenter and millwright
Maple trees abounded in that area, so he bought more land with many
maple trees on it. Of course, they made a great deal of Maple
Sugar. For eight happy years the family enjoyed their home In
Amboy. Twelve children had been welcomed into the Durfee family*
Those born at Amboy were: William, born September 15, 1822; Ephraim
born June 1, 1824; Abraham, born November 14, 1826 { Henry, Born In
1827; Jabez, born May 10, 1828; and Mary, born March 21, 1850.

However, at that time, the west was opening up and Edmund felt
that opportunities were many In the new territory. So in June,
1830, he sold his sugar bush and farm, and the family moved to Ohio.
They traveled through Camden Village to the canal which took them to
Buffalo. They crossed Lake Superior and landed at Portland. From
there they moved on to the Huron County and settled in the township
of Ruggles. There Edmund bought property and the Durfee’s made
Ruggles their new home«

During the winter of 1851 rumors began circulating about Joseph
Smith and a gold bible. In April Solomon Hancock arrived in the
community. The Durfee’s were Methodists. Often Elder Hancock preach-
ed in their Chapel telling them how the Lord had sent the angel Moroni
to Joseph Smith, He explained the beautiful truths of the restored
gospel. They were astonished to learn the truth, for it was much
different from the rumors they had heard beforehand. The gospel mess-
age found its way to the heart of Edmund, Lana and their family.
Edmund was baptized In May, 1851, by Simon Carter.(2) Lana was baptized
June 1, by Solomon Hancock. Most of the children also accepted
the gospel and were baptized during those months. Because Tamma was
going with a young man who reportedly wouldn't have a Mormon wife,
she quietly believed, without, being baptized until after her marriage
In August. (Refers to Albert Miner.)

In Journal History of the Church on Tuesday, October 25, 1851.
are recorded "Minutes of a General Conference of the Church at the
dwelling of Brother Serenes Burnett In the town of Orange, Cuyahoga
County, Ohio, 39 members present; High Priests Joseph Smith, Jr.
Oliver Cowdery, J. Whitmer, Hyrum Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Samuel Smith,
Simeon Carter, Reynolds Calhoon,, Martin Harris, Joseph Smith Jr.,
Wheeler Baldwin, John Smith, Elders David Whitmer , Peter Whitmer,
Sylvester Smith, Luke S. Johnson, Burr Riggs. Sylvester Baker, Orson
Hyde, Daniel Stanton,, Joseph Brackenbury, William E. McLellin, Major
N. Ashley, Stephen Burnett, Edmund Durfee. Joel Johnson, Levi Jackman,
Elmer Harris, Frederick G. Williams, Priests Lyman E. Johnson, Edward
Johnson, Benjamin Carpenter, Rugg Eames, Teachers William Smith, Uriel
Stephens, Hyrum Griffith, Deacons Titus Billings, Serenes Burnett, and
John Burk.

"Most of the brethren spoke at that time and their idea were re-
corded in the minutes....,

"Brother Edmund Durfee said that he also had professed religion
for a number of years; yet he now felt to bear testimony of the
goodness of God and also consecrate all to the Lord.".....

"At the evening session of the Conference a number were called,
seated, and ordained high priests. After prayer President Smith said
that he had a testimony that each had a talent and If, after being ordained,
he should hide It, God would take it away from them. He exhorted
them to pray continually, in meekness and said that those who had
previously been ordained priest would be ordained elders, and so on….
Edmund Durfee was made a high Priest."

In December Edmund left on a mission for the Church, So just before
leaving he baptized his daughter Tamma. The following February
the elders cut a hole in the ice and baptized her husband, which united
all the family as members of the Church. This young man Albert, Son of
Asel Miner.

Edmund accompanied Elder Joseph B. Brackenbury on his mission to
Chautauqua County, New York, Quoting from Journal History we find;

"In the fall of 1851 Joel H. and David Johnson who had received the
Gospel in Amherst, Ohio, brought the Book of Mormon to their relatives
in Chautauqua County, New York. Soon afterward Joel Johnson and Almon
W. Babbitt (then only a boy) came to the same neighborhood as missionaries
and were followed by two high priests, namely, Edmund Durfee
and Joseph B. Brackenbury, “Elder Brackenbury was an earnest and
powerful preacher,' likewise Elder Benjamin Fore Johnson, and all
the elders sent were filled with the spirit of the Lord." Many received their testimony and my mother, Lyman R. Shearman, a brother-in-law, were the first
to be baptized. After a few weeks of successful preaching and baptizing Elder Brackenbury was taken violently sick and within a few days, January 7. 1832, died of a Bilious colic."(5)

"History of the Church" concerning this event reads, as follows;

"Elder Joseph B. Brackenbury. died at Pomfret from the affects of
poison secretly administered to him by opposers, who afterwards boasted that Mormon Elders had not faith enough to stand poison. The night after his burial there was a heavy snowstorm. About half past eleven
O'clock Joel H. Johnson dreamed that some persons were digging up
Brother Brackenbury’s body, and was so exercised about it that he
called up some of the brothers and went to the spot about one mile
distant, and found a party of doctors at work, who had nearly clear-
ed the grave of earth; the men fled with utmost precipitation. David
Johnson took after the largest one who was caught and bound over in
one thousand dollar bonds for his appearance at court, but was never
tried." (4)

The Temple site at Jackson County, Missouri, was dedicated August
5, 1831. The Saints were looking forward to establishment of "Zion"'
Consequently settlements were established in that area. (Far West)
In accordance with instructions in February, 1832, Edmund went down
to establish his claim in "Zion" and to build a place for his family,
returning home. May 20. However, the family did not move at that
time because Edmund was called on another mission, back to the States,
which occupied his time until that fall.

The following spring, in May, the family moved to Kirtland where
moat of the saints were gathering. At Kirtland, when Lana was 47
years old, her thirteenth, child, Nephi, was born on July 22, 1835.

Revelation had been given to Joseph, to build a house to the
Lord in Kirtland, Ground was broken June 5, 1833. Immediately work
began and the cornerstones we're laid the following month, on July 25th.
Edmund was one of the 24 elders who laid the cornerstones. The
saints worked eagerly, on the Temple at every opportunity, Edmund
spent a great deal of his time in the construction of that beautify
edifice, Likewise his brother Jabez spent much time on the Temple
as a carver and decorator. Although it was a critical period, no
sacrifice was too great in time or money. On Saturday, March 7, 1835,
as the Temple was nearing completion a meeting was called "for the
purpose of blessing in the name of the Lord, those who had assisted
in building by their labor and other means, the House of the Lord
in Kirtland. The morning was occupied by President Joseph Smith, Jr.
in teaching the church the propriety and necessity of purifying itself.
In the afternoon the names of those who had: assisted to build
the house were taken and further Instruction received from President
Smith. He said that those who had distinguished themselves thus far
by consecrating to the upbuilding of the House of the Lord as well
as laboring thereon were to be remembered; that those who built it
should own it and have the control of it.

"After further remarks those who performed the labor on the
building voted unanimously that they would continue to labor thereon
till the House should be completed.”

"President Sidney Rigdon was appointed to lay on hands and
bestow blessings in the name of the Lord”. The Presidents were blessed;
and Reynolds Calhoon, Hyrum Smith and Jared Carter, the building
committee thereof (the last two were not present), yet their rights
in the House were, preserved.

"The following are the names of those who were blessed in consequence
of their labor on the House of the Lord in Kirtland. and those
who consecrated to its upbuilding. (Edmund Durfee, Sen. and Edmund
Durfee Jr. were among those named,) All those who were blessed
were given the "blessings of heaven and a right in the House of the
Lord in Kirtland agreeable to the labor they had performed thereon.
and the means they had contributed.” They were also promised wisdom
and ability to proclaim the gospel, Edmund Durfee, Jr. was ordained
an elder. A James Durfee was also blessed on this occasion,"(5)

The Temple was finally completed-truly a great monument to the
faith of & small group of people who built in their poverty, at a
time when violence threatened, them on every side.

March 27, 1836 was indeed a memorable occasion- the Temple was
Dedicated! Edmund felt fully repaid for all his effort. "Angels
were present and the Holy Spirit, like the sound of a mighty rushing
of wind fell upon the house and assembly. The people of the neighborhood
came running together, hearing a strange sound and seeing a bright
light resting on the Temple. The House had been accepted by the Lord."

The financial panic of 1837; heightened insecurity. At the same
time feelings against the Mormons rose to a new pitch. As a result
the Saints were driven from Kirtland. The Durfee’s hastened to Caldwell County, Missouri, settling in Log Creek. (7)

Apostasy was rampant in the church. Denial of the church brought
relief from persecution. misunderstandings were many and the general
spirit was one of contention, even within the church. Even those who
were next to the Prophet himself often lost their light and understanding.

"The saints assembled at Edmund Durfee Settlement in Caldwell
County, Missouri, agreeable to appointment and rejected Presidents
David Whitmer, John Whitmer and William W. Phelps by unanimous vote
as the Presidency, of the Church in Missouri. (8) Similar meetings
were also held at the various settlements

John Whitmer and W.W. Phelps were charged with selling possessions
in Jackson County, contrary to revelations of the Lord,, which
was paramount to denial of the faith; also for misappropriation of
funds borrowed for the use of the church, David Whitmer was charged
with even more offenses. The Lord in a revelation, had rebuked these
men for their transgression, and warned them but they did not heed the
warning, Thomas Marsh and David W. Patten were sustained as presiding
officers in Missouri until the coming of President's Smith and
Rigdon. W. W. Phelps and John Whitmer were excommunicated March 3, 1838,
with David Whitmer and Oliver Cowdery held over for investigation.(9)
Both were excommunicated later.

Imprisonments were numerous and always on false charges. Satan
himself seemed to have been turned loose, determined to destroy, the
Church, and the people of God. Mobocrats, with Governor Boggs at their
head, had no respect for private property. Homes were entered by
force. All weapons were forcibly taken from the Mormons, even to
butcher knives, so that they had no, means of self-defense. Men were
dragged from their homes; and families, and were brutally beaten, tarred
and feathered, and abused in every conceivable way. No forces of
government gave them redress for these wrongs. Without hope of ever
getting anything for their property, they were finally expelled from
Missouri by November, 1838.

Edmund took his family and settled in Yelrome (10) near Lima,
Illinois, where they tried to find peace? and the privilege of living
unmolested. The church was built up considerably. The "Lima Branch
Records" p.585 under date of March 12, 1843-, reads: "Edmund Durfee
was received in full fellowship by the Lima Branch by vote." This
record was signed by Isaac Morley, President, and James C. Snow,


"A Conference was held at Lima and the branch reorganized under
the direction of Elder H. C. Kimball, Isaac Morley, President Walter
Cox and Edwin Whiting, Counselor William Woodland, Solomon Hancock,
James C. Snow, James Israel, Edmund Durfee. Daniel Stanton, Moses
Clawson, Joseph S. Allen, Philip Garner, Henry Ettleman, Reuben Daniels
and Horace Rawson, High Council. James C. Snow, Clerk of the Branch.

During the appointing of the High Council, Elder Heber C. Kimball
made some general remarks upon the Word of Wisdom, He said God looked
into the heart of a man. He said some would strain nip and tuck
at the Word of Wisdom but would turn away a poor brother when he would
ask for a little meal for breakfast. He compared it to the man who
was stretched upon an iron bedstead: if be was too long they would cut
him off, if be was too short they would stretch him out; and again he
said it made him think of the old Indian's tree which stood so straight
that it leaned a little the other way and the best way was to stand
erect. He also made some very appropriate remarks with regard to the
Temple and Nauvoo House.” (11)

The beautiful City of Nauvoo rose from swampland into the largest
city of Illinois at that time. The majestic Temple rose steadily in
the midst of sacrifice and continued persecution. Still the saints
looked to Joseph as their guide. Tamma tells that they listened to
the Prophet speak for five hours straight and no one was tired.

from a record of baptisms for the dead made at Morley’s Settlement,
on November 7, 1840,. Edmund and Lana were baptized for his
parents, Perry and Annie Salisbury Durfee, and for her parents John
and Dolly Pickle. See Vol.210, p, 365, Historian's Office.

The very foundations of Mormonism shook when the Prophet Joseph
and his brother Hyrum were martyred at Carthage on June 9, 1844o
Confusion crowded the minds of the saints when the decision of
new leadership was to be made. At a special meeting held on
March, 8, the question was answered unequivocally when Brigham Young
stood before them to discuss the matter. To their amazement he stood transfigured before their very eyes. It seemed they saw the Prophet Joseph before them and heard his voice as naturally as ever although it was Brigham
Young speaking Although many divisions occurred in the Church at
that time, Edmund and Lana remained steadfast in their faith, choosing
to follow the Quorum of the Twelve.

Joseph had prophesied that the saints would eventually seek refuge
in the tops of the mountains, Persecution continued, hastening the
time of that long trek*. All efforts were turned toward outfitting
wagons,, laying up supplies,, and preparing themselves in every way-
Needless to say the constant trouble did not hasten, the preparations^
although the Mobocrats continued to scream that the Mormons must move,
and the sooner the better.

It was the plan of the mob not to gather in large bodies, but
to burn Yelrome, then attack some other place and finally drive all
the Mormons into Nauvoo. That being accomplished they planned to
move them from Nauvoo by help from other areas. Accordingly, everyone
was driven out of Morley's settlement (Yelrome). Sheriff Jacob
S. Backenstos wrote the following proclamation which describes the

"September 13, 1845."
"To the citizens of Hancock County, Whereas a mob of from 100 to 200
men under arms have gathered themselves together in the southwest part
of Hancock County and are at this time destroying the dwellings and ^
other buildings, stacks of grain, and other property of a portion of
our citizens and in the most inhuman manner compelling defenseless
children and women, to rise from their sick beds and exposing them to
the rays of the parching sun: and to lie and suffer without the aid and
assistance of a friendly, hand to minister to their wants in their
suffering condition.”

"The riotous spare not the widow nor the orphan, and while I am
writing this proclamation, the smoke is rising to the clouds, and the
flames are devouring four buildings which have just been set on fire
by the rioters. Thousands of dollars worth of property have already
been consumed; an entire settlement of about 60 or 70 families laid
waste, the inhabitants there of fired upon, narrowly escaping with
their lives and forced to flee before the mob."(l2)

He went on to call attention to the law and its penalties for
infractions. Although he tried earnestly to discharge his responsibility,
no help came to enforce the laws.

Edmund’s home was among those burned to the ground. Tamma tells
how her young brother (Nephi, aged 10) was simply rolled up in his
sick bed and it was thrown out doors. The mobbers then went to the
oat stack, got two bundles of oats, put a fire bran in them, threw
them on top of the house and said they would return in the morning
Finally their work of destruction was complete, and almost the whole
Town was smoldering ruins and ashes.

From Nauvoo rushed 134 teams traveling all night and day to
rescue the homeless families and take them to Nauvoo The troublemakers
agreed that the saints could return to harvest their crops.
Therefore, a month later Edmund and others returned to gather their
crops and harvest the grain which they needed so badly for the anticipated journey. On the 15th of November "near Solomon Hancock’s
house, about midnight, a stack of straw was discovered on fire.
Several persons turned out to suppress the flames; while thus engaged
a whistle was heard east and one west, presently a gun was fired then
and they continued to fire till six guns were discharged at them, the
ball of the fourth one entered the body of Edmund Durfee just above
the heart and he died instantly.” (12). His body was immediately
taken to Nauvoo for burial.

The "Nauvoo Neighbor" put out an extra on November 19 concerning
this tragic incident, A part of it is quoted herewith:

"As may be seen by the affidavits below, it falls to our painful lot
to chronicle two more outrages upon the lives and rights of
the Latter-day Saints, since they have been using all diligence to
secure their crops, build wagons, and leave next spring.

"Bro. Durfee was one of the most industrious, inoffensive and
good men that could be found, and having his house burnt in September
last, moved to Nauvoo and went on Saturday last for a load of grain,
was shot dead in cold blood, at midnight, while striving with others
to save property from the flames by an armed mob!

"Have nearly two thousand five hundred wagons commenced for
our Pacific Journey next spring, but our outrages certainly are not
calculated to aid us in getting ready. We have borne the Missouri
persecution; we have mourned the loss of the Prophet and Patriarch,
Joseph and Hyrum Smith; we feel the destruction of one or two hundred
houses the present season, and our hearts are pained at the murder
of Edmund Durfee, because he was a Good man; but, we, as in all cases
of the saints, leave the disposition of these matters in the care of
a wise God, and the perpetrators, to the mercy of (as they say), a
country of laws, and be those laws honored or disgraced we cannot be
charged with revenge; and we do beseech the people and the authorities
not to impute crime to us, to raise excitement, when we see our
accusers wiping, the blood of innocent men, women, and children, from
their garments, as though this was the realm of Nero." (15)

On November 17th Orson Hyde (the presiding authority in Nauvoo),
who had known Edmund for many years, wrote a letter to Brigham Young
informing him of the incident. Among other things he said" Bro.
Durfee was one of the most quiet and inoffensive citizens in these
United States and from our acquaintance with him and from the nature
of his business in securing his crops we are persuaded that his murder
was wholly unprovoked, (14)

After Edmund's death "the mob boasted that: they fired at Durfee
on a bet of a gallon of whiskey that they could kill him the first
shot, and they won." (15)

The guilty parties were not hard to identify, they were known
by Edmund’s companions. Although they were apprehended and affidavits
filed concerning the incident, they were released by the magistrate
without examination, another evidence of the legal farces which
met all the grievances of the Saints.

No one could possibly understand the grief and terror which must
have filled Lana’s heart at such a tragedy, Even in Nauvoo the reign
of terror persisted. All her children were married by this time, with
the exception of Jabez (apparently named for Edmund’s brother) and
Nephi. On January, 21, 1846, she received her endowments in the upper
rooms of the Nauvoo Temple and was also sealed to Edmund on that date.
(This reference of course is to Lana, Edmund’s wife). Edmund's endowment
date is January 4, 1882 (by proxy) in the endowment date.

Due to the conditions surrounding her, the insecurity and constant danger,
it is not surprising that Lana married her brother-in-law, Jabez Durfee, on January 21, 1846 (for time). Jabez's first wife, Electra Granston, had died in 1854 at Independence, Missouri, during the Missouri mob trouble.

Six (and possibly seven) of the Durfee children received their
endowments in the Nauvoo Temple,

Once again expulsion faced the Durfee’s. Apparently Lana and Jabez
and her two boys left Nauvoo with the main body of the saints. At
least she is not mentioned as having remained in Nauvoo as did Tamma
and one son, as related in Tamma’s "Memorial."

At Musketol Creek, Council Bluffs, Iowa, Lana died on May l7th
1850, at the age of 62. After her death, Jabez did not continue the
journey to Utah but died at White Cloud, Iowa, April 1867.


Few parents have given their descendants such a rich heritage of
Faithfulness and devotion to the devoted cause of truth. May this
history serve to perpetuate that faith in the hearts of those who follow
after them.


Throughout the records the various names and spellings were given for
Lana - also Delaney, Lainey, Laney, Delana, and Lanna.

1 - Some doubt exists as to the correct birthplace of Lana (probably a
contraction of Magdalena). While many members of the family conclude
that Lana was born in Rhode Island because her husband was born there.
the old manuscript dictated by Tamma reads: "Laney Pickle born June 6,
1768 in Holland and died May 17. 1856 In Council Bluffs.” She may prove
to be a descendant from the Pickle (originally spelled Pechtel or Bechtel family of Columbia Co, N.Y.) Deseret News Section (Church), October 18, 1941.

2 - “History of the Church.- vol.7 page 523.”

3 - Journal History of the Church in Church Historian’s Office Dec. 31,1831.

4 - “History of the Church," Vol.7, page 524.

5 - Journal History, March 7, 1835.

6 - Essentials in Church History,” By Joseph Fielding Smith, page 190.

7 - “History of the Church," Vol.7 page 524.

8 - Journal History, Wednesday, February 7, 1838.

9 - Essentials in Church History," pages 206-7.

10 - Andrew Jenson’s "Church Encyclopedia," Book l, p. 977:

“Lima, Adams Co.: A. town. of about 300 inhabitants situated in Lima Township,
Adams County, Just over the south line of Hancock Co. and about
25 miles in a straight line due south of Nauvoo, is known in Church
History: as a neighborhood where quite a number of saints resided in
1839 to 1846. Most of these, however, located northeast of Lima, in
the extreme south end of Hancock County in what is now Walker Township
on and around a townsite which had been surveyed and named Yelrome.
This little town situated 2-1/2 miles northeast of Lima was also
known, as Morley Town or Morley’s Settlement in honor of Isaac Morley,
the presiding church officer residing there. At a Conference held at
Lima October 23, 1842 the Branch was represented to consist of 424
members. Yelrome or Morley Settlement was nearly burnt out by the mob
in the fall of 1845 and the saints were all compelled to leave the
following year in 1846. A new town called Tioga was laid out on the
old townsite which at present consists of an unimportant village.”

11 - Journal History, Sunday, June 11, 1843;. also History of the Church,
Vol. 7., PP.427-29.

12 - “History of the Church," Vol. 7, page 529.

13 - Ibid., pp.528-29.

14 - Ibid., pp. 525.

15 - Ibid., pp. 524.

Compiled and written in March, 1955, by
Dora D. Flack, 1089 South 8th West,
Salt Lake City, Utah..