History of Acworth, Edited by J.L.
Merrill, Town Historian. Published by the Town, 1869.
Page 121 The Charter of 1766-First Settlements
In 1767 three young men from Connecticut,
William Keyes, Joseph Chatterton, and Samuel Smith, were induced
to choose farms in the newly granted town. They immediately began
to clear these farms, and in the spring of 1768 William Keyes
brought his young wife to the cabin he had built. She with an
infant a few months old made the journey from Ashford, Cot.,
in an ox-cart, in which also was stowed all the household goods
they brought with them. They settled on the farm now occupied
by Hon. Jesse Slader.
The first settlements near the
center of town were made the year by Henry Silsby, Ephraim Keyes,
nad Samuel Smith Sr. These were all Connecticut men. They wer
followed from their native State by comparatively few. But the
Connecticut settlers wielded a large influence in town, and most
of them were the progenitors of a numerous posterity, and a largeproportion
of the inhabitants of the town during the last two generations
could claim relationship to them, besides very many who have
emigrated from Acworth.
page 139 Town Treasurers
1791. Amos Keyes 1808-9. Amos Keyes
page 140-selectmen-representatives to the legislature
1804-6. Gawin Gilmore, Amos Keyes, Lemuel Lincoln
The 4th of July was first celebrated in 1808. The tables were
set north and south on the common, and they were furnished with
a substantial dinner, prepared by Mr. Amos Keyes who then kept
a tavern. There were also speeches and music, and the affair
was closed with a ball in the evening, in the upper room of Keyes'