Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p.926
, of Glasgow, Scotland. Came to Utah in 1856. His children by first wife: William; James; Robena; Jean. Resided at Glasgow.

Married Mary Haley in Glasgow (daughter of John Haley and Mary Haley of Glasgow). Their children Isabel, m. John Lards; Alexander, m. Eliza Watson; George Smith; Annie, m. Abram Warburton; Elizabeth; Albert. Family home Pleasant Grove, Utah.

She was also the widow of Mr. Durfey, whom she married at Glasgow. Their child: Mary, m. James Smith; John Powell. Resided in Glasgow.

Elder; home missionary. Coal miner and farmer. Died February 1879 at Pleasant Grove, Utah.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 13, p.374
Samuel Mulliner and Alexander Wright, missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, arrived in Scotland December 1839. The first converts to be baptized were Alexander Hay and wife Jessie, in the River Clyde at Bishopton January 1840. The following May, Orson Pratt organized a branch at Paisley with 80 members. Within 15 months there were 600 Saints in Scotland and by 1852 they numbered over 3,000 many of whom emigrated to Salt Lake Valley, Utah.

On Dec. 20, 1839, Elders Samuel Mulliner and Alexander Wright, of Scotch descent, arrived at Glasgow as the first L. D. S. missionaries to Scotland. The following day they proceeded to Edinburgh, where the parents of Elder Mulliner resided. Elder Wright also had relatives in the north of Scotland, whom he went to visit. Laboring alone for a short time, Elder Mulliner baptized Alexander Hay and his wife, Jessie Hay, in the River Clyde, at Bishopton, near Paisley, Jan. 14, 1840. These were the first fruits of the preaching of the gospel in Scotland. Five days later the newly baptized couple were confirmed and their children blessed, at which time the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper was administered for the first time by divine authority in Scotland..

LDS Bio Ency Vol 3 pg. 571
In the meantime Elder Mulliner had been laboring at Bishopton, near Glasgow, and had there baptized Alexander Hay and his wife Jan. 14, 1840; they were the first to embrace the fulness of the gospel in Scotland in this dispensation, being the first fruits of the Elders in that land. At this time Elder Mulliner wrote to Elder Wright, requesting him to join him at Bishopton. Elder Wright very shortly left the north to join his companion, traveling all the way south to Edinburgh, as he had done north to Banff, on foot. He used every opportunity to proclaim his mission on the way, at Dundee and elsewhere. When he reached Edinburgh he found Elder Mulliner there, visiting his parents. They remained in that city a brief season, during which they became acquainted with two men (Gillispie and McKenzie) at Leith, who were both baptized Feb. 2, 1840. Elders Wright and Mulliner then started for Glasgow by canalboat and arrived at Bishopton the following day. Their conjoint labors now commenced in earnest, and they held meetings in Kilpatrick, Bishtopton, Bridge-of-Weir, Paisley, Kilmarcomb, Johnstone, Houston, 'Kilbarchan, Glasgow and other places. It appears that their presentation of the gospel brought a ready response, for a number of persons were soon afterwards baptized. In fact baptisms soon became a daily occurrence, and by the close of April, 1840, upwards of sixty persons had been led into the waters of baptism. Early in May, 1840, Elder Orson Pratt arrived in Paisley and on May 8, 1840, the Paisley branch (the first branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Scotland) was organized with Robert McArthur as president. The work now spread rapidly, additional branches being organized at Bridge-of-Weir, Bishopton and Greenock. Soon after organizing the Paisley branch, Elder Orson Pratt went to Edinburgh, accompanied by Elder Mulliner, and established a branch of the Church there. Elder Mulliner returned to America in the fall of 1840, but Elder Wright continued his work and was the means of bringing many into the Church.

LDS Bio Ency. Vol 2 pg.609
Thomas Cooper.

The summer of 1867 found him serving in the Blackhawk war in Sanpete county as a member of Capt. Wm. L. Binder's company. At Gunnison he quarried rock, burned lime and helped to build a fort and barracks, besides doing military duty. While burning lime he and his comrades were attacked about 10 o'clock one night by Indians, who came down upon them under cover of heavy cedars and shot and killed John Hay, an estimable young man, whose death was much deplored.

LDS Bio Ency Vol 1 pg. 621
Robert Morris
In 1867 he participated in an Indian expedition to Sanpete county, during which he was exposed to great danger on various occasions. When John Hay was killed at Fayette, Sept. 4, 1867, Elder Morris was sitting by his side and afterwards assisted in carrying the dead body to a neighboring house.  

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 9, p.183
On September 14th John Hay of Gunnison was killed by a band of Indians who found him alone burning lime. Four days after this murder, the stock owned by the citizens of Beaver was driven away by a band of Black Hawk warriors and the redskins decided to remain in their haunts until spring. They had been pursued vigorously and driven over mountains and valleys. Our cattle were herded and guarded so closely that the Indians were compelled to make their retreat to unsettled parts. The settlers determined to have peace or the extermination of every Indian throughout the land. The militia had been authorized to kill every Indian buck who came on their trail and to spare only the squaws and papooses.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 9, p.191
September 5—John Hay of Capt. Wm. L. Binder's company of militia was killed by Indians near Fayette, Sanpete Co.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 9, p.236
John Hay

John Hay was born in 1846 in Scotland to Latter-day Saint parents, Robert and Mary McMurray Hay. His mother died young, and his father married Mary Jane Healey in 1862. John emigrated to Utah in 1865 and worked for President Brigham Young. He served in the militia under General William B. Pace in the Black Hawk War and was killed by Indians Sept. 4, 1867, and buried by his company in Gunnison, Sevier County. President Young wrote to Robert Hay, John's father in England, and asked what to do with his savings. Robert answered that it would help emigrate the family to Utah. A communication from General William B. Pace to The Deseret News September 5th, 1867, follows:

Last evening about 11 o'clock Private John Hay of Captain Binder's company was shot dead by Indians, while tending the fire at the lime kiln near Warm Creek. The Indians crawled up within twenty feet and fired one gun only, then fled. It appears the guard had changed their position for some reason, leaving this avenue open. Detachments from Manti and this place were immediately placed upon the trails to intercept them without success. A reconnoitering [p.237] party since daylight reports signs of only three Indians on foot, who, from the course and length of steps must have made Twelve Mile Canyon in less than an hour from the time of committing the murder; reconnaissances are out in search of their rendezvous.

Wm. B. Pace

B. H. Roberts, Comprehensive History of the Church, Vol.5, Ch.129, p.151
Early in 1867, the continued hostile intentions of the Indians were announced in the massacre of James P. Peterson, his wife and daughter, near Glenwood, Sevier county, who were mutilated in the most horrible manner. The vigilance of the militia of these counties, assisted by detachments from counties as far north as Salt Lake and Davis, so far held the Indians in check, that during the entire year there were only three other citizens killed and three of the militia, viz., [citizens] Lewis Lund, James Meeks, Andrew Johansen; [militia men] Major John W. Vance. Sergeant Heber C. Houtz, and Private John Hay.

Orson F. Whitney, History of Utah, Vol. 2, p.208
Sanpete County had been reasonably quiet for a couple of months, when on the 13th of August the Indians made a descent on the herd-grounds and meadows of Springtown, and drove off a band of horses. James Meeks was killed, Andrew Johnson mortally wounded and William Blain slightly wounded in the fight. Colonel Allred with a portion of the Mr. Pleasant and Ephraim cavalry started in pursuit, overtook and defeated the enemy, who killed some of the stolen horses and abandoned others. It is believed that a number of savages were killed in the engagement. The last casualty of the season occurred on the night of September 4th, near Warm Creek—now Fayette—Sanpete County, where three men of Captain Binder's Salt Lake infantry were on picket duty. Indians stole up in the darkness, and by the light of the campfire were able to single out John Hay upon whom they fired with fatal effect. His comrades gave the alarm to eight other men stationed near by, and, bearing the dead man with them, the detachment made good their retreat to the settlement. Soon afterward the Indians withdrew for the winter and the militia were able to devote the few remaining weeks of autumn to the pursuits of peace. During this summer and autumn a stone fort was projected and partly built at Gunnison, for protection against the savages. The remains of this fort, which was never completed, may be seen to this day.

Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church p.248
The saints on Warm Creek were organized as a branch of the Church in 1862, with Branch Young as president. He acted under the direction of the Gunnison Ward bishopric and was succeeded in 1864 by John E. Metcalf, sen., who, after the Indian troubles in 1865–1867, was succeeded by John Bartholowmew as presiding Elder. The first meeting house (a small log building) was erected at Fayette in 1864. In 1866 the settlement was temporarily vacated because of the Black Hawk War, but the settlers soon returned to their own homes, after spending a few months in Gunnison. The present rock meeting house at Fayette dates back to 1874; it was dedicated Aug. 1, 1875. On Sept. 6, 1867, John Hay, a militia man belonging to Wm. L. Binder’s company of Salt Lake City, was killed by Indians about a mile east of the settlement. That part of Fayette Ward now known as Dover was first settled in 1875 by the late John E. Forsgren,