1841 - 1930                       INDEX      PEDIGREE

Mary Jane Healey


Marriage: 1862
Place: Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

Birth Date: 15 March 1841
Birth Place: Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Death Date: 8 June 1930
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah

Mary Healey        
Isabelle Hay
Alexander Hay
George Smith Hay (H-2)
Annie Marie Hay(H-2)
Elizabeth Hay (H-2)
Albert Joseph Hay (H-2)



she was 11th of 12

Research Ideas
Church of England Records in Ireland for 12 children
of John Healey



Autobiography of Mary Jane Healy Hay
written in 1927 with the help of her friend, Rose B. Hayes

        Mary Jane Healy Hay was born in Ireland on March 15, 1841.  She was the daughter of John and Mary Pollock Healey. Her father was Irish and her mother Scotch. They were living in Ireland near the border of Scotland when she was born. Soon after her birth they moved to Paisley, Scotland.  She was the eleventh child in a family of twelve. Only seven were raised to maturity.   They belonged to the Church of England. At the age of twenty-one she was married to Robert Hay, a widower with five children.   She was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Elder Hunter in 1858, just before leaving for Utah.
       The incidents in that long journey are pertly related in her husband's biography, however, while their company was camped at Omaha, they were all housed in a lumber yard and they slept on boards with their scanty bedding.   The Saints were all counselled to bring as little luggage as possible, on account of the difficulties of transportation. The Company remained there three days, preparing for the journey to Fort Laramie. From Omaha to Fort Laramie they traveled in cattle cars and slept on the floor of the cars. On account of some trouble, they were two days longer on this trip than was expected and many had little or no food at the last. Mrs. Hay had a seven months old baby to nurse and care for, besides the rest of the family. She says "Never can I forget the cheers that rang through the air by the entire company, when we caught sight of the Utah teams who had come to meet us, camped in the hollow just ahead."
       They fed the hungry Saints on bread, baked in the iron oven or kettle on the campfire, salt bacon, and dried apples which tasted good to them. The company camped here five days preparing for the last lap of the journey.
       A man from England, who was bringing two little girls to their relatives in Utah, borrowed a gun from one of the teamsters to hunt game for food, accidentally shot and killed himself; his burial delayed the company one day.
       The rations on this three weeks journey were one pound of flour for each one per day, with bacon and dried fruits.
      Mrs. Hay became very ill with ague and mountain fever, before the journey's end. When they reached Coalville in Utah, her husband left the same day for the railroad camp and Bishop William  ___luff promised, and did, look after his family in his absence. After two weeks she suffered a relapse caused by over-exersion in her weakened condition, ........could not live and sent for her husband. She heard them talking but could not speak to tell them that she knew she was not going to die, however, her husband came that night and stayed a few days until she was better.
       They were certainly in primitive condition here, a log room with a dirt floor and the ground for the floor: a cloth instead of glass for a window and a rude board door. Bed ticks filled with _____ for a matress on the floor, a rude table and a board railing on rocks at each end for a seat, a camp oven or kettle, a frying pan and a few dishes brought from over seas. Bread and all liquids froze in the room at night.
       Flour was $14.00 ___ cwt. calico 40 cents per yard, matches 25 cents a box, and thread was 23 cents a spool. There was a little cooperative store here but not much to be had in it. After two years they moved us in the canyon where the mine was and made a "dug-out" of half cellar and half above ground. Here they were crowded but warm and much more comfortable. After a few years they moved back into Coalville and made theri home.
     On account of Mr. Hay's failing health, they decided to live on a farm and moved on to the Provo Bench. The children all worked and earned what they could as they grew older. After three years they moved to Pleasant Grove. Mr. Hay was an invalid for eight years and his wife had to assume all responsibilities as a nurse and bread winner, working out by the day.
      She was certainly pleased and fitted by nature for hard and constant work, and by her careful and skillful management and help of the children finally secured a good home. They did all kinds of domestic work, so faithfully and well, they never lacked for employment.
      The children all attended the district school. Mrs. Hay always paid her bills and emphasized honesty and industry as the greatest asset to character. She is the mother of seven children all raised to maturity but has since buried Alex, Mary and George. She has eighty grand children, [left blank] great grandchildren, and seven great great grandchildren.
      She is eighty-six years old, does all her own work, and her home is a clean and comfortable little paradise. (This was written in the year 1927.)

      She passed away June 12, 1930 at Pleasant Grove, Utah. The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers sent a card at the time of her death, "To the Family of Robert and Mary Jane Healy Hay, Utah Pioneers of 1868"

Autobiography of Mary Jane Healy Hay
received from Nola Corbett 10/01